1. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

Writers Depression/Coping

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by g1ng3rsnap9ed, Mar 23, 2009.

As some of you may know, I recently finished writing the best story of my entire life as of yet. Well, maybe not so recently, but about three months ago. Since then I have only mustered up one short-story and another passage of my beloved novel that I felt helped explain things better for there was a brief interval of time left out where a lot went down. Then I started getting feelings on writing a sequel for the story. I really do not want to even attempt this because the story ended on such a perfect note, (in fact my Signature is the last sentence of the story!) and I know that in doing so, I would only tarnish that. So I looked similiair cases up online. Apparently its called "Writers Depression" when an author finishes a story and has a hard time getting over it.

Has anybody ever gotten this before? If so, how did you cope? I think that I may re-read my story and try doing a second draft to it. (I already tried once, but this time I'm going to stick a lot truer to the first draft.)

2. Dalouise

Dalouise Contributing Member

Is it really finished, or at first draft stage? If the latter, then you will probably still have a lot of work to do before it is ready for pitching and a sequel may not be the best idea at this stage. Three months is a good time to leave it before you start the editing process although longer is even better. In any case, you need to tackle it again when you are ready and only you will know that. the key is, we are all different.
    On both my novels I thought they were perfect after some editing but it was only when I went back months later that I found plenty that I wanted to tweak, odd typos which I could swear were not there before and many other things I wanted to change. I had started a sequel to one of them but my heart wasn't in it so I abandoned it and may or may not go back at a later date. I am still editing the original.
    During the waiting time I amused myself by doing an exercise for my writers' group, a short story, which went so well that I will be hawking that around various magazines when I think it is truly finished and ready. There have been massive gaps where I didn't do anything, but my batteries needed charging so I took time out which I believe did me good as I have returned to the projects with a renewed enthusiasm.
    Hope this helps. ;)

3. g1ng3rsnap9ed

Thanks. I'm going to try and fit in time to re-read the story, then decide how I should edit it. I don't really want to re-write the entire thing (,it was written in a spiral-bound note-book, which complicates editting), but I think that there are some scenes which may need re-written. As far as I remember, I like it perfect. Well, I guess that I'll just start from there and see where it takes me. :)

4. ManicParroT

ManicParroT Contributing Member

I believe his gentleman has something to say about this

Chopper Reed (youtube link)

5. love2listen

love2listen Member

Yeah, absolutely.
    I fall so in love with my characters.
    17 year old Michael in The Residency is among my favorites. He's so shy and timid, and just exploring a new world and new friends, and his first relationship. I wish I could know him lol
    I have such a hard time finishing anything. maybe its because of that!

6. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

Try making a clean break from the finished piece. Write something that is completely different from your finished piece. If it is SciFi then write a crime drama, anything that removes you from your original story.

Break the mold as a way to move on.

7. g1ng3rsnap9ed

Maybe I should do that. My method as of right now is to try and write a short-story every week to slowly ween(sp?) myself out of the story until I feel that I can write a full-lengther again. I came up with the idea today in gym-class. :p

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

like "jet lag" and "writer's block" it won't exist if you don't believe it does... just jump right in and start something new... in fact, it's a good idea to always have something else simmering on the back burner, while you're finishing up a major project, so you won't have to be wracking your brain to come up with something new, as you type that final word...