Tags:
  1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

How should I build up my reputation?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Dec 4, 2014.

I have absolutely know clue if this is the section this should go in, so if it's not you can move it to the appropriate section.

All I'm wondering though is how should I build up a reputation as a writer. What I want to do is basically do freelance writing jobs to save up money for college. The thing is I don't know where to start which is the main reason I came on here to try to get help with writing. Without a reputation though I doubt anyone is going to want to accept me for their freelance job. So what I'm wondering is what are good ways to build up your reputation, or in other words prove you're a worthy writer? I'm welcome to any suggestions, and if you need a more in-depth explanation of what I mean just ask below in the comments.

2. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

I have not attempted to do what you are doing, so what I suggest is merely an opinion based on no experience.

However, I would imagine that you should start by developing a portfolio. If you want to write freelance, that pretty much means writing to order, on any topic.

So, develop a portfolio of articles, essays, etc, on a wide variety of topics.

Sports, nature, naturism, environmental, photography, art, music, etc.

Write about anything, and everything. Then, whenever you see someone asking for contributors, or advertising a job (online news vendor, or whatever) apply, and send in any appropriate articles you have.

In the meantime, try to get every article you write published somewhere, so you can build up your list of credits in your CV.

If you are passionate about something (toast, trains, Marilyn Monroe, or whatever) create a blog and write a series of articles about that too.

You need to develop your reputation by writing. That is all you can do. So, pick a topic, and write. Then try to sell it.

Okon likes this.
  3. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I definitely agree with Mike. blogs, are a great way to build an reputation and get feedback at the same time,

4. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I would've responded sooner, but my account never alerted me when you posted on here only now when Deadmoon posted I saw what you wrote. Anyways thanks again :)

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Developing your reputation is great. Improving your writing is great. Trying to make money as a freelancer may be unrealistic. Writing has never been a terribly profitable job.

So I wouldn't discourage you from your efforts, but I think that there's a non-trivial chance that your college-money-earning "day job" will be something other than writing.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Getting stuff published is pretty much the only way to build reputation. It shows that someone is willing to pay for your work. Also, when you submit your work, aim for the highest paying and/or most reputable market. Never sell yourself short.