1. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Writer's Romance

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nilfiry, Aug 20, 2008.

Romance can spawn from many things so I wonder.....Has any one here ever gotten involved in some sort of romance because you write or of your writing?

I'm impassive and exacting so do you need to even ask? Nope, no romance related to writing for me, but I am curious to see if anyone else has.

2. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Once...only once...and all I will say is, it was a great time while it lasted. ;)
    I am glad for the experience, that relationship taught me a lot about myself. I will always think back on him fondly.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Because I write, or because of writing...? No.

Have I ever imagined (and my imagination is awesome) a romance with a character in a book? Oh, yes.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I suspect that being a dedicated writer might inhibit some avenues to romance, if for no other reason that the time it consumes.

Terry

5. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I briefly dated a guy who was senior editor on our school paper. I used to submit stories for a column. He was interested in one particular story called "Bonfire", which led him to ask me about my culture, and then one thing led to another. We didn't hit it off well at first. He thought I was "silly and eratic" and "looked like a kid". I told him he left me with no impression at all. But of course, both of us being sadistic, we enjoyed that type of banter, and started seeing each other after classes.

It was very brief. It could have worked out, but I turtled. We're still good friends, though.

Otherwise, there hasn't been anyone else interested in me because of my writing. It's very rare that I meet anyone who even cares about it. I count that incident in high school as lucky.

6. ChimmyBear

I will say this...one of my characters was hard to let go of...I romanced him in my writers mind. He was wonderful...dark and handsome, powerful and strong.
    Oh, I was quite taken......but, I had to let him go, so...he was whacked and I do believe that made my story all the more intriguing.;)

7. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

You fell in love with a character from your story?

8. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Yes. My novel is what got my boyfriend and I together. He read it, and he was interested in my past, the novel being an autobiography. We started talking. He became my friend and my shoulder. Now, we've been dating for a year and three months, and we're stilly happy. ^^

9. ChimmyBear

LOL! Noooo...I didn't fall in love like I would a guy I might meet...I loved writing about the Character. I don't know how much you write but when you are writing novels (which I was) sometimes you can like writing a certain character more than others, it's like you connect to them. I don't know how else to explain it.

Thus, I had to kill him off, he was too much of the story.

10. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Still Life said it best

11. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

*cough* My romance life is such that no mere novel is going to change things.

12. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

LOL I thought you were agreeing to Wreybies post.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his statement either, mind you. I was just curious.

13. penhobby

penhobby New Member

I will have to remember that quote. Yeah, I fall for my leading men all the time, makes my hubby insanely jealous. But he is and always will remain ...The One.

14. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Yeah. The only reason I ever met her was because she was interested in my writing. The romantic part of it only lasted about a week, if that (it's complicated), but that person is still the most important person in my life. The best of my best friends. All I can say is that what I feel for her goes beyond romantic feelings, and I seriously doubt that any romance I find myself with in the future will be able to compare.

However weird that may sound, that's the way it is. I wouldn't trade this for a spot in Heaven.

15. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Actually, I did once get to know a girl because of writing and then I guess the term for it is "went out". I would hardly call it romance though. I don't think I've yet truly "been in love" with anyone.

16. ChimmyBear

See, that is how I feel about the guy I met...you nailed it. ;)

17. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Sort of...

My first real love and I had science class together. Before we got together, when we were just friends, we had a notebook that we shared. We would write notes to each other. We also collaborated on a story about our circle of friends.

I still have that notebook.

The rest of our story was kinda tragic in a way. His parents hated me, and went to extremes to make sure he couldn't see me. When we tried to see each other anyway, they started harassing me and our other friends (including an attempt to get me fired from my job). He couldn't take it anymore, so he moved to Tennessee where he had some relatives who weren't crazy. It broke my heart. He asked me to move up there to be with him. I almost did.

Then I meant the guy who is my boyfriend now. My ex eventually moved back, and even though I still loved him, I knew that I was already with the guy I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. So, we're still friends.

18. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

About 10 years ago, this skinny guy with glasses moved in the apartment across from me. For three years the most intense interaction we had was nodding as we passed on the stairs or at the mailboxes.

Seven years ago, we bumped into each other at a nearby non-chain bookstore, reaching for the same copy of Five Smooth Stones, by Ann Fairbairn. We wound up sitting in the floor right there in the fiction section talking about anything and everything. We discovered we were both writers, and lots of other things about each other. When closing time rolled around, the owner of the bookstore told us to take it across the street and continue the conversation over sangria, chips and salsa. We did. It still wasn't a romance, but we became great friends and indispensable to each other. Reading each others daily output, critiquing, brainstorming where something was going when one of us got stuck.

In hindsight, it's easy to see when the love was forming, but at the time we didn't see it. We truly believed we were just friends. We both dated other people, but nothing serious ever came of it.

2.5 years ago, I received a severe head injury when I was hit by a car. I have little memory of the accident or the three days preceeding. What I do remember is waking up in the hospital, and seeing him sitting there, no shave, rumpled, and huge circles under his eyes -- I found out later he hadn't left the hospital since he heard about my accident.

He took my hand and told me he loved me.

We got married in March.

1 person likes this.
  19. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

*clears throat*

And what was wrong with my post?

So, I've a slightly looser grasp on reality than the everage Joe or Jane. It just means that I get my money's worth out of a good book or movie. When well written I suspend all concern with the 'real' world and invest myself completely in the pocket universe created for me between the pages or on the screen. :cool:

20. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

See, this is the kind of scenario I dream about. But I doubt it'll ever happen to me.

Closest I got to an encounter at the bookstore was when a the clerk at the cashier stalled me over a copy of Vladamir's Lolita. He was great looking and all, but I was somehow really embarassed to be caught with the book, so I bailed as fast I could ;/

LOL Nothing. That's why I said this:

;)

21. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Awesome story...

22. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Sometimes the universe just freaking works.

23. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Haha, I've never had a relationship because of any of my writing (although there have been many a guy that I've seen that reminded me so much of one of my characters an instant crush was developed)

But, I was only able to kill one of my characters after I ended a highly turbulent relationship.

24. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I met my loaf on a writing forum if that counts...

But I've never had this experience with my writing. I usually have a strong hatered towards my characters. Well I did when I was writing stories anyway. I don't know why either, I just always hated my characters... meh!

25. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Hey, anybody want to move in across the street from me?