1. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

Writers Success

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by sprirj, Nov 11, 2009.

I wondered how many people shared their passion with a fellow family member, or had to put family to one side to focus on writing. I have always known that my aunt was a writer, but she was mostly into poetry. Now she has just finished her 2nd book which has been shortlisted for an unpublished writers award in the UK. The prize being a publishing deal. Its great news, and potentially could give me some extra insight into that world, but at the same time it brings home just how much work I've still got to do to finish my 1st book. :(

PS Don't get me wrong, I love writing it, its a joy, but if I don't get a publishing deal straight away I will feel like a failure. :redface:

2. FrankB

FrankB Member

Brace yourself to feel like a failure. 99.879% (approximately) of writers experience rejection. Multiple times. Some of them, hundreds and hundreds of times.

If you maintain your present mindset and want writing to be a joy for the rest of your life - never submit it anywhere or let anyone else read it. Ever. Somebody's bound to burst your bubble.

If you want to become published one day, then the sooner you realize that writing is a business, as well as an art/craft/joymaker, the sooner you'll see your name on a book jacket.

3. eliza490

eliza490 Member

A rejection doesn't necessarily mean that you're writing isn't any good. It means that the publisher doesn't want it, so you move on to the next publisher. You have to be willing to handle rejection, otherwise the publishing process may be difficult for you. For example, I recently submitted and published my first article for a website(I'm not sure whether it would be considered an ezine). I was feeling discouraged because I'd submitted other poems and stories and had them rejected. Then I got online and saw that my article had been accepted. It was a huge boost to my confidence and made me realize that it would be worth to stick it out and keep trying. It can get discouraging, but if you want to be a writer you need to accept the fact that you'll probably face a few rejections before you get accepted anywhere.
    ~Eliza

4. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

perseverance is key