Writers Tools

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by badgirl-250, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

The tools I need are either a notebook and a pen (mostly blue, red, purple, gold and black. Don't ask why but I do), my mobile phone if I am out and have nothing to write with, my laptop, a comfortable chair, silence.
    While I find that music inspires me with my writing I also find that it blocks my creative flow. I find it can put lines into my work from the song I am listening to or cause me to word my poetry similar to the lines of a song. That I do not like doing.

I find that the one place I tend to draw most of my inspiration in on my parents front verandah. It has a view of two giant Camellia trees, a car yard across the road, a potato packing shed, flats, and yeah not really all that much interesting, but I always find the most inspiration comes from standing out there at any given time.

Things that inspire me other than that are conversations rather than images and movies. Although images can inspire me, just not all that much unless there is a lot of significance in the image.

2. Kravorkian

Kravorkian New Member

I'm curious...did you make this template, or did you download it somewhere? This is something I'd be very interested in.

3. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

Made it.

PM me your email address if you want a copy. :)

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

so, of what use is that to a writer, other than if you intend to print your own books?

5. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

None whatsoever!

In fact, to submit the document to my editor, what I do is I copy it into a straight text file and then reformat it as an .rtf in his preferred format.

It's merely a silly little ritual that I find helpful.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ok... just wondered...

7. eccentric_m

eccentric_m New Member

All I need is an idea, my computer, and momentum so I dont lose interest or forget something.

8. Nadala

Nadala Banned

I need three diffrent note pads when I start for world building generally once I've added new infomation a few times I'm happy to go back to one. I like to have black gel rollar pens and coloured pencils for hightlighting. An eraser a dictionairy and theasaurus, gridded paper for initals maps, scrap paper for on the side thoughts. A3 sheets for the real deal maps and atmospheric music. The internet for research and sometimes a friends to help with inspiration.

9. Frost

Frost Active Member

I need something to write with. Whether its a pen and Im writing on my body, or my phone, thats all i need. Everything else is a bonus.

10. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

Computer, notebook, music, and a clear head.

11. Torana

This may sound silly but I find that my camera is a handy tool when I am writing. I have it sitting with my laptop every time I sit down to write a poem. <yes very strange I know>

12. Frost

Frost Active Member

Pictures speak a thousand words.

13. Torana

That is very true Frost.

14. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

All I need is an idea, a dictionary, a comp and some peace and quiet.

15. writerincollege

writerincollege New Member

My special pierre Cardin or carden(cant spell) pen my father gave me, my recycled paper notebook (gone green oh yeah ;) ) Thats about it, maybe some good music and a drink.

16. foxbrains

foxbrains New Member

I need a notebook, or a pad of paper, preferably college ruled. I also need a super fine point pen, usually blue. I write really small so i need lines that are not spaced far apart. i usually put 4 lines of text between the lines of a marble notebook.

In order to write I need some strong emotion, I usually find myself starting lots of stories whe I am angry and never finishing those. I need to feel some emotion so that I can make my characters stronger, and I love putting characters through the wringer, and forcing them into some deep situation that I could never truly experience or feel.

I usually edit as I type, and I almost always print. to me it isnt writing unless I can use one of my favorite extremely fine point pens to do it.

17. secularzarathustra

secularzarathustra New Member

Sometimes I like handwriting and sometimes typing. If I'm handwriting I need a notebook, I like moleskines, and good blue and black pens to alternate for emphasis. An occasional toke helps keep the creative juices flowing, and lacking this helps keep the editing process flowing. :)

If I'm typing, which is just as frequently, all I need is access to emacs, without it, I'd rather just handwrite and type later.