Novel Writing a book

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Billy Joseph Ethridge, Jun 12, 2014.

1. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

If a new idea is tugging relentlessly at your brain cells and your current work in progress is getting a little dull, I say give some time away from it to explore the new idea a little bit. I don't consider that "abandoning" your current work, you're just putting it aside for a while. Sometimes you need to take a little break away from it and let it sit alone while you get the new stuff out of your system. I have in the past rotated between stories, and I think it can be good to get fresh material to work with and sort of recharge your writing batteries.

The problem starts when you let yourself get into an endless cycle with this. I sometimes fall into it, I currently have two stories I'm working on, and several ideas stewing in my head. If you're going to put a story on hold, you can't let it just sit there and die. Give yourself so much time to work on something new, and then get right back on the original WIP. It's alright to have some freedom to explore your new ideas, but just keep yourself in check.

jannert likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

There is another way of thinking about this, which can come into play. New ideas COULD be about your current project rather than others down the line.

If you can discipline yourself to come up with ideas for what to do with a story problem you've encountered, or how you will get all your loose ends tied together, or why your character would do this rather than that, your brain will remain active and creative ...but focused on your current project.

If one aspect of the project stumps you—just CAN'T get that next chapter written?—then move on to some other aspect of the same project. Write your ending instead. Or write the love scene you've been building up to. Or write the moment the antagonist and the protagonist finally come face to face. Or the moment your protagonist finally discovers the truth about his wife. If it's relevant, you could also fill in the time researching your setting in more detail.

Don't be afraid to skip around from bit to bit, if you get stuck. This can break your 'block' and also solve your linear 'next chapter' difficulties. Sometimes these linear writing difficulties stem from not actually knowing where you're going. If you jump over the journey and get straight to the destination, you will know a lot more than if you're just wobbling away near the beginning. You can go back and fill in the steps of the journey later on and develop your characters more believably, once you're clear about where it will all end up.

New ideas don't always have to be about a new story. Instead, you can force your new ideas to improve what you're working on now.

The world is full of wannabe writers who never finish anything, but have lots and lots and lots of ideas for more stories, different characters, different genres—and have actually written umpteen first chapters. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but they'll never get published or read. They'll have fun with their writing, but that will be as far as it goes.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    EdFromNY and Link the Writer like this.
  3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

One caveat to this - if you do, you may well find that by the time you write your way up to the point to which you skipped, it no longer fits because of the subtle ways in which characters change and grow as we write about them. And you may have to re-write the ending (or whatever it was that you wrote when you were stuck). But at least you will have broken out of your funk and gotten your project moving again.

jannert likes this.
  4. Michaelson345

Michaelson345 New Member

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely apply it on my story writing.

5. Verda T. Foster

Verda T. Foster New Member

Life experience degrees are planned to point out the information and knowledge you have received over the course of your lifetime. If you have an information and expertise in your specialized field, so you are eligible and you can easily acquire a life experience degree that will convert your important specialized knowledge into a professional degree. This URL will help you out how to get your Master’s degree in your area of interest.
    http://www.accurateonlineuniversity.com/experience-degree/