1. Zubae

Zubae New Member

Writing a collage admission essay - questions about structure and thesis

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Zubae, Aug 5, 2013.

I will be attending teacher training and pedagogy studies, first course in a month. Before our first session, we're supposed to write a reflection, not exactly like an admission essay, but close I guess.

Four guided questions are given:

Why do you want to become a teacher?
    What is a good teacher for you?
    What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    What are your expectations for this course?

All texts should have a thesis, but I'm not sure about this one. Should I integrate my answers into a single paragraph? This is what I came up with yesterday, but it's way too long for a thesis, right?

What drives me forward in the teaching profession is to disseminate knowledge, provide relational care, and be a difference for each student in a dynamic interaction, through strong classroom management and clear learning objectives, with teaching that emphasizes xxx and fairness, but which will also extend further to exploit the cooperation between school and home.

Just so you know: this translation went through Google Translate :/, from norwegian to english.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

1. it's way too long and overcrammed for one poor sentence...

2. no one here can tell you how this particular college admissions panel wants you to write the essay/whatever...

you're asking the wrong people... ask someone in the admissions dept. of the college for an example of the kind of paper they want, or guidance in how they want it structured...

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm not sure the word, 'thesis', is translating well here.

"All texts should have a thesis"? I understand all those words, but I'm unclear what your question is. When I then read your question about "way too long for a thesis", I think something is being lost in translation.

How long the reflection is suggested to be would answer your question about a single paragraph. I don't see putting the answer to all four questions in one paragraph.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please note that the site rules don't permit detailed assistance on an admission essay, or any other writing intended to assess your individual ailities. Members can only provide general guidelines, not recommendations on your specific essay.

Re-check the instructions, and consider Maia's recommendation. Then give it your own best effort.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Not necessarily. An essay with a single thesis and paragraphs that expand on that thesis is one form of writing, but it's not the only form.

And in your case, there are four questions, so I don't see why you want to answer them all at one gulp. If you want to use an essay format, it seems to me that this is four essays, not one.

But I agree that you need to ask whoever assigned the piece, rather than us.

6. justlang

justlang Banned

A single paragraph might be cumbersome to read.