Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon_Trotter

Brandon_Trotter Senior Member

Writing A Comic Book Compared To A Book

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Brandon_Trotter, Jun 3, 2010.

I wanted to discuss a part of writing that is often over looked, comic books. There are many different types of comics such as; manga, super hero, newspapers comic, online comics, directional comics, I think everyone gets the point. Now some comic dont realy count for writing, for example a directional comic ( by a directional comic I mean those signs you see - What To Do In Case Of Fire - you see posted everywhere, the ones with the stick figure following a bunch of steps to extingush or escape the fire. ) and some would agrue comics in general dont count for writing. I am here to agrue against such statements. I recently wrote a comic and I must say it takes about the same amount of time to write a 30 page comic as it does a 30 page book. There are three parts to creating a comic all of which I belive are more or less the same stages one goes through to write a book. First and formost organzation for a book this includes; font size, font, chapters, headings, font formating, page numbering ect... for a comic this includes more or less the same, but also include; choice of frame, frame angle and size and shape of paneling and word ballon ( which comic artists are forgoing compeltly ). There are some parts of a comic that are different from a book such as the organzation of fonts; custom font or unique hand written lettering, enbolden letters or custom fonts to show a pirtuclar action or emoition or all such examples of unique organzation of comic book font. The next step is the meat of a your story the writing I dont think I need to explain what writing a book is like on a site like this but, a comic on the other needs some explantion. There are two peices of meat in a comic, the words and the pictures both must be interesting and balanced. To many words and the pictures suffer ( which for some comics like alternative comic is the point ) and to much pictures and the words suffer. The author of a comic but find a balance between the two as well as work to make both as interesting and as clear as possible. The next and final step is editing. Yet again I doubt I need to explain this on a site like this for a book, but yet again I think the comic needs to be explained. In a comic not only must the words be correct but so must the pictures; color, presective, shadow, somuch must be correct or that whole page may have to be completly redone. Does anyone have anything they would like to add to this? Does anyone disagree with me? Do any of you think comics dont count for writing? If so, why? I would realy like to a discusion on the importance of comics in writing and how writing or even reading a comic compares to a book.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This has been discussed before.

Comic books are a form of writing, but they are a hybrid form of writing. The story is not simply told with words, it is told in images and other graphics as well. Exposition is handled differently, and typography is a storytelling component as well.

This site is not well equipped for graphic story writing, and we do not support it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.