1. MattTalent

MattTalent New Member

I'm stuck on ideas for an antagonist in my story!!!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MattTalent, May 12, 2014.

I just started writing a sci-fi/action/romance novel that was going to be about two people stuck in the middle of a war between humans and robots. The original idea was that machines would be getting so smart that they would become smarter than us, and they would be threatening to become the dominant species on the planet. I have been thinking hard about how it would work, and I didn't think it would be a very good idea (the reasons behind that decision are way too complicated for me to write down), so I decided to change my idea of an antagonist to something else. (If you want to see the original post on my story, go here: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/how-do-i-write-about-multi-day-events-such-as-going-to-school-every-day.131386/ )
    I started to write the first ten pages or so of my story, and I mentioned a bully who pushed everybody out of his way on the transit system. I decided that I should focus on this bully as the main antagonist, since he used to be the boyfriend of the girl that the main character is involved with. (For the discussion on the main characters' relationship, go here: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/any-good-ideas-for-how-i-should-portray-romance-in-my-story.132331/ ) He is really good with science and engineering, so he's probably going to use his inventions to chase down the main characters either to get his girlfriend back or to try to kill them in anger and revenge. Exactly what's going to happen in the climax when he unleashes his ultimate creation, I'm not sure. I don't know if you guys have any DIFFERENT ideas or if you might be able to provide constructive criticism, but if you do, I would appreciate it!! :)

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

So I went to the first link and your main character is the new student in this futuristic world where the robots become smarter and threaten humanity.

Okay. Awesome. I've seen plots like this (Terminator, Battlestar Galactica), but I'm seeing a different take on this here and I hope that's where this goes. So my first question is:

Is, for the purposes of the fighting (that is going to occur, humanity won't go down without a fight), is it small scale or large scale for our views? Look at Red Dawn (the remake, I haven't seen the original yet). The fighting is concentrated around their Seattle, Washington suburb. The United States government is pushed out by invaders and the Wolverines fight the invaders themselves. That's small scale. There's a bigger war out there, and we know it, but we're not seeing it. Our perspective is limited to the small fight. Then there's movies like Battle: Los Angeles where, while concentrated on the city, the fighting is widespread. It's not guerrilla fighting; it's all out war.

Is this kid enlisting into the army (And I guess Vega is gonna be like "NOOOOOO") or is he in a resistance group?

3. MattTalent

MattTalent New Member

It will be an all-out global war, but given the setting in my story, the view will most likely concentrate on what is now southwestern United States.

4. MattTalent

MattTalent New Member

And about the last question (Is this kid enlisting into the army (And I guess Vega is gonna be like "NOOOOOO") or is he in a resistance group?), I'm pretty sure that he's going to end up joining the military closer to the end of the story.

5. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

Well if it's focusing on a special area (his group isn't shipping out all over the place to fight where needed but is in defense of a specific region), then have the main antagonist be the head commander for the enemy, or a human who sold out to join the robots for a "more perfect civilization".

MattTalent likes this.
  6. Pandemonia

Pandemonia Member

Depends on how much you want to humanize your antagonist. Do you want him just to be a standard "bad guy" or do you want him somewhat sympathetic? Is he crazy or just evil? Megalomaniac or sexually frustrated? Those are things I would want to know.

7. MattTalent

MattTalent New Member

I think he would be somewhat sexually frustrated, since he used to date Vega. He's probably going to take extreme measures against the two heroes to win Vega back, even if it results in the deaths of any member of the party (so I guess he's pretty crazy as well).

8. MattTalent

MattTalent New Member

By the way, I just came bak from watching Godzilla at the movie theater, so hopefully that should give me some faint ideas of what to do for the climax of the story (although of course I don't want to borrow too many elements for rather obvious legal reasons!)