1. Gaurav

Gaurav Member

Writing a dramedy

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gaurav, Feb 24, 2014.

I would like to know how to write a dramedy with the perfect balance of humor and drama,without overdoing it. I find this genre underutilized as most go for a full length drama or comedy. Also it has the ability to convey serious stories in a funny way.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Have you read any dramedies you like? If so, what have you learned?

There is no foolproof formula for writing a dramedy, or any other genre. The skills required are the same as for any fiction, except that for a dramedy, you should have an excellent sense of humor. (That's actually useful for any genre, come to think of it.)

Learn a good set of skills for writing fiction, and you'll be able to write a dramedy, assuming you have one in you. :)

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Member

Thanks a lot. I have written a satire which I am looking forward to post in the short story section. Though its a satires it has almost the same elements like that of a dramedy. Hope you read it and comment on it.

4. minstrel

I'd be happy to read it and comment on it, but make sure you meet the requirements laid out in the rules before you post it, okay?

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Member

Yeah I have read all the rules. As a moderator can you please tell me how many reviews I have done? I have 17 messages including this one and I need 20 in total with at least 2 reviews before submitting the story,right??

6. minstrel

Yes, you need twenty posts and two critiques, and you also have to have been a member for fourteen days. You have that one covered as of today, so you're good there. Three more general posts and you'll be fine on that count. I'll go see if you've done any critiques.

7. Gaurav

Gaurav Member

Thanks for the reply.

8. minstrel

Okay, I've looked over your posts on other people's work. Some of your comments are just one-line raves; they're not critiques at all. A critique is a comment that should help the writer identify and fix a problem in their work. The more detailed and clear a critique is, the better. You did two critiques of the work of our member Mans, but his English isn't very good and that seems to be what you commented most on. Can you do another critique? Find a story that needs work in our Workshop (preferably one longer than 100 words) and give the writer some thoughtful guidance on what you think would improve it. If you do that, it'll be enough. :)

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Member

I hadn't critiqued on Mans's work actually. I had just given him suggestions. I had critiqued on a nonfiction essay. Anyway I will critique one more and hopefully submit my story.

10. Gaurav

Gaurav Member

I just reviewed a short story. So can I now post my story in short story section?

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

guarav...
    'dramedies' are movies, plays, or tv shows, so are you asking about writing a script?

12. Gaurav

Gaurav Member

No. May be I used a wrong word. I am talking about stories which deal with serious subjects in a very upbeat or a humorous way.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in prose fiction, that's usually just called 'humor'... ['humour' if you're british ;)]