1. kwdresh

kwdresh New Member

Writing a novelle series?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by kwdresh, Aug 16, 2011.

I have been working on a novelle a while ago and have decided to go ahead and finish. The way the plot line runs for the story it would seem to fit best to write them into a series with other sub series branching off.

But my question is how do I complete each book and begin the next?

2. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

However you want :p But for the first book, make the plot self contained aswell. A publisher wouldn't take on a whole series from a new author (unless you don't intend to publish).

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

do you mean a 'novel' or 'novella/novelette'?

in the us, there's next to no market for novellas [short novels] in 'real' books, though e-books come in all lengths... however, print novellas may have some chance in the uk or european markets...

do you intend to self-publish this/these as e-books, or try to get a paying publisher to put them out in print form?

4. the1

the1 Active Member

I am also unsure of the meaning of a "novelle".

Are you sure you so not mean novel

5. kwdresh

kwdresh New Member

I did mean by novelle, but i didnt know there was little market for novelles in the us. I would like to get them published paper back.

6. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

The American (and presumably British term) for "novelle" is novella.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is very little market for novellas in the US.

A new author has no business thinking "series". Publishers won't even consider a new writer trying to sell the first book of a series (more accurately, your chances go from difficult for selling a stand alone book to practically nil). And if your writing is focused on establishing a series, the first offering will not stand alone as well as if you put every effort into that one story. Each piece of writing must stand on its own,

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Oddly enough I became inspired about three weeks ago to write a novella series, urban fantasy, and thus far have about twenty five thousand words finished. Another couple of weeks and it will be ready for publishing. But I agree with the others, the market for novellas is relatively small. The sales of my only short story published are roughly only three percent of the sales for my other novels. However, that wasn't the point in my writing my new work, it was simply that I became inspired.

In the end I have realised over the years, I write for myself, I publish for sales.

As far as marketing it goes, I'm simply going to work on the standard formula. Write as well as I can, put it out there with a good cover and a catchy blurb, and hope that some of my readers of my other fantasy books find it attractive. However, I'll also be pricing it low, 99 cents, and then as the series progresses story by story, hoping that those who read the first one want to continue, and those who read the second go back to the beginning, and so on. At some point, when maybe four are written I'll put them all together in a single work.

As to how the stories link to one another, I'm sort of looking at it as similar to a tv series. Same characters in same place, same scenario, but a new case each week.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Greg.