Tags:
  1. Trezzy_Sometimes

Trezzy_Sometimes New Member

Writing about addicts.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Trezzy_Sometimes, Apr 12, 2010.

Hello there.
    I have read the "how to write a convincing addict" thread. This is a different question.
    I'm not having too much trouble making my character a convincing addict, but I am having touble portraying his addiction effectively, while also making him seem human. I know regardless of his addictions he's still human, but I don't want the reader to be distracted by his heroin addiction. Vincent is a poetic genius, and I'm quite stuck on protraying him as such, while at the same time protraying him as a drug addict. If anybody could offer any advice that would be great. Thank you!

2. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

Look at other addicts who were writers. Hunter S. Thompson pops immediately to mind, and if you're considering writing in a heroin addict you should have at least seen "Trainspotting" if not also "Requiem for a Dream".

If you don't want the reader to be distracted, put it is as a routine. As AA teaches you, your addiction is part of a routine and/or a means of escape.

In his vulnerable moments it would be no shock to have him tie up. As well, when he first wakes in the morning he may want to take a few hits to get him going. Here's a piece from something I'm writing. A scientist who uses meth to make him a better worker. (That's another thing to consider, the reason for the addiction.)

3. Trezzy_Sometimes

Trezzy_Sometimes New Member

Thank you! That helped a lot. I have seen bits and pieces of Requiem for a Dream, and plan to watch it in full very soon. Also, I like the passage you included, and it was very helpful. Thanks again.

4. EileenG

EileenG New Member

For a lot of addicts, they only feel normal or feel like themselves when they've had their fix. They are not trying to get high, so much as to not feel withdrawal and depression.

If you are a coffee drinker, consider how you feel when you need a cup of coffee and can't have one. Now multiply that by ten. Or imagine being in serious pain, and the only painkiller that will work, and let you get on with your life, is illegal.

5. Anonym

Anonym New Member

quoted for truth