Writing About he Opposite Sex

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mugen shiyo, Mar 13, 2012.

1. cs2212

cs2212 Member

Ahh ok, sorry!

Its probably just worth being aware that an exclamation mark isn't always going to denote humour or sarcasm very clearly on its own. For example, "Heil Hitler!" can be presented with an exclamation mark lol.

I do get where you were going now though :)

2. Salama

Salama New Member

OK. No harm was done.
    The thing is, I hate using a "smiley" to express Humor or Sarcasm.
    A (happy face) sign would have been better, I guess.

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

In English, there is no guaranteed method of using sarcasm other than clarifying that you are being sarcastic. Some advice if you want to make effective use of comedic sarcasm like that, be blatantly offensive, and then write "(sarcasm)" at the bottom. For example:

This way, they view the first line, think you are deliberately offensive, and then their eyes scroll down they will read realize you were making a joke.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Sometimes I find it difficult writing from the opposite sex. I think it depends on how clear I am about the character. I usually wing it when writing so sometimes I can really picture my character, other times it's more plot based and I'm making up the character's traits as I go along. And then it's sometimes wholly dependent on the actual character, like if I'm writing about a 17 year old boy, I'm not really comfortable writing about the typical laddish things (think Doing It by Melvin Burgess) but I have to get over that to write the character properly.

When I'm struggling with characters, I usually try and base it on someone - family member, friend, celebrity etc. So you could try that.