Writing about writers

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by deadrats, Sep 10, 2016.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

A lot of first person classics use journalism as the main POV, so in those cases it does matter how good of a writer the narrator is.

On a similar note, if I were to write from the first person POV of a street thug, who never read a book in his life, and I sounded very literate, obviously this would make little sense.

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Since when do journalists have to be good writers? I was a journalist my whole life pretty much. Journalism really has little to do with writing, or maybe I should say that your writing is not the most important thing in journalism. Anyway, that probably doesn't matter. I know a lot of journalist write memoirs, but I was thinking more about fiction than journalism when I started this thread. As to your second point, I don't know why you are bringing a thug into this. But sometimes it really is amazing what writers can make work.

Wolf Daemon likes this.
  3. 123456789

Look. Go to the DMV, I don't care where. Pick out an average person and tell them to write a memoir. I don't care if they make the entire story up. Most likely, it's going to be a very, very, poor read.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Wolf Daemon likes this.
  5. 123456789

I'm trying to say, when you read one of these classics, where the story is told from a journal, and then it turns out the narrator has some writing experience, it makes sense.

6. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

I think writers make for interesting characters because they can be perceptive, deep thinkers and even naive.
    Stories don't have to be about a writer and his writing, but about a writer and his life which can offer a whole wide range of experiences and reactions.
    The overthinking writer
    The emotionally unstable writer
    The shy recluse writer
    The overconfident writer
    The 'well is dry' writer
    The writer obsessed with a muse
    Etc etc.

Writing doesn't have to be the focal point of the writer story, but the experiences that shape the writer's worldview -- which will obviously shape him -- offer some good opportunities for storytelling.