1. Khoa Van

Khoa Van New Member

Help Plssss!!!!

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Khoa Van, Mar 22, 2015.

So i am writing about Islam and Democracy by Bhutto in the book The World of Ideas by JACOBUS. This book contain a list of different readings from various people that sum up and edit by the author JACOBUS. I am just wondering when i quote a sentence from the reading, specifically Islam and Democracy of Bhutto do i put the credit toward Bhutto or the author of the book JACOBUS.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If I Google

how to cite a quote of a quote

I get a number of opinions that seem to answer your question.

3. Khoa Van

Khoa Van New Member

i search google but there s no direct answer relates to my case here. Most of the guide are about how to quote properly which i already knew. What i want to know is how do you quote a reading of an author which is taken by another author and edited it and put it in a book as a series of reading like the book A World Of Ideas. Like who will give the credit to or what you gonna put inside the (author, page number)

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

What citation style are you using? APA, MLA...?

5. BayView

In general terms, you want to be as intellectually honest as you can. So you'd cite the original author of the quotation you're using, with something along the lines of "as quoted by" or "as translated by" or whatever it is that you're getting at in your post (I'm not 100% sure what the situation is).

6. Khoa Van

Khoa Van New Member

MLA styles. So the situation is i am reading a book A World Of Ideas by Jacobus. The book is like a collection of a bunch of readings from various authors about government. So if i write about one of the reading in the book and if i have to quote sth from one of the reading. Do i give the credit to the author of that reading or the guy who wrote the book.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

That's what I got with my suggested search string:

how to cite a quote of a quote

Did you try the string at all? The first hit that I got was "[MLA] How do I cite a source that is quoted in another source?" Isn't that what you want?

8. Khoa Van

Khoa Van New Member

Sorry for my bad explanation. I already know how to cite a source that is quoted in another source. My case is this book A World Of Ideas is written by Jacobus, in this book collects different readings about government and put this in these book. So a book is like a collection of readings and what i try to do is quote by from one of the reading which is written not by Jacobus( he only put it in the book for reading). Who will i give the credit to Jacobus, the author or both?

9. BayView

You put the original author's name in the in-text citation, and then on your Works Cited page you give the details of where you read the work, so that's where you'd mention Jacobus.