1. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

Husband making me doubt MC name

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by kfmiller, Feb 8, 2015.

So long story short- my current WIP is a combination of several ideas I had and started fleshing out- then realized combined it would be pretty cool.

How the story stands- it's a post-apocalpytic novel set in Florida. My MC was a cop before the apocalypse. In the previous version his name was Lowell. Then, I decided to combine an unfinished short story about a mercenary in a post-apocalpytic environment into this novel. I kept the MC as a cop, but modeled him after the MC from the short story, and I made Lowell his companion.

For the problem- the MC's name is Reed McLane, usually just called McLane. My husband immediately pointed out that was Bruce Willis's characters name from the Die Hard franchise. Originally, this character was a merc, but now he's a cop, and I didn't even think of the connection. I don't want to re-name him, but I'm worried this could be a problem.

His being a cop is important because halfway through the book there will be a murder identical to the last homicide he was working on before the apocaplyse , which he will become obsessed with solving.

Thoughts?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

My opinion: take your husband's advice, drop the McLane. When names make people think of an existing character it can affect how they read the story because the name has baggage. When it's just one person's issue with a name, you can't really control that, but millions of people will think of Bruce Willis when they read a similar character named McLane.

I just changed one of my main character's name from Mayer to Greyson. (My critique group said two names were too much alike and I agreed with them.) I hate the new name because I'm used to the old name, but Greyson definitely has the connotation I want. Funny thing is, even I react to it in the way I want the reader to at first. Hopefully I'll come to like the guy as the other characters do.

kfmiller likes this.
  3. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

I think you're both right. It's tough since I first started writing about him a couple years ago, but I need to come up with something different. I'm keeping Reed though- it's a family name and I like sprinkling that into my writing.

4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Yeah, a cop with the name McClane immediately sets an image of white vests and "yipikaye mother f*cker".

Plus Reed McClane is one of those testosterone-y, macho names that grate with me ever so slightly. I hear a name like that and think, oh Christ, he's going to be an insufferable knob, isn't he?

Reed McCarthy, Reed Wright.

kfmiller likes this.
  5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Add another vote against McLane. As soon as you said it I thought of Die Hard.

kfmiller likes this.
  6. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to rename him. I honestly didn't even connect the dots before it was pointed out, mostly because he was a different character before now. Whoops!

I like McCarthy, but not totally sold yet. Back to the drawing board!

7. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

James Bond, Jason Bourne. John Mcclane, Reed Mckane or Reed Mckinney. No big deal.

8. GingerCoffee

Riiight. You name your next spy James Bond and tell us how that goes. ;)

Of course you could do it, as long as you made his being named James Bond part of the story. :)

Mckk likes this.
  9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

No no. Jason Bourne is to James Bond, as Reed McKane is to John McLane.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Reads wrong

Renee J and Mckk like this.
  11. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

I figured it out- new name is Rick Grimes

Dunning Kruger and Renee J like this.
  12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Rick Grimes...? o_O

13. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

It was a joke :D

Mckk likes this.
  14. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Loooool :D

Thank God...

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

To be honest, it's up to you. McCarthy brings to my mind that senator that started the Red Scare in the 1950s, just like your husband said that McLane brought Bruce Willis to his mind. Names, especially famous real-life/fictional names, can carry a lot of baggage. If I saw a character named McCarthy, I'm not going to immediately assume the character is honest and trustworthy.

If it fits with your character to be named McLane or McCarthy, then roll with it. Just be aware that people will make assumptions about your character based on what they've associated with the name. For example, if I made a character named Mario, you can bet that gamers, or even those with a slim basic knowledge of video games will immediately think of the fat Italian plumber from the Mushroom Kingdom, even when my Mario is totally different from Nintendo's Mario.

As for McLane, Bruce Willis' character didn't even spring to my mind. Probably because I've never seen the Die Hard franchise. :D

ZUKO
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Zuko on the left is from Zelda: The Wind Waker. The Zuko on the right is from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

LINK
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Link on the top is from The Legend of Zelda. The Link on the bottom is from Matrix: Reloaded.

See? :D People who have played the games/watched the show/movie will draw their own correlation based on the names alone, but so long as your character is different than Bruce Willis' character, then it's OK.

Again, though, it's all up to you. I was just dropping my two Zukos. ;) :p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    kfmiller likes this.
  16. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

Die Hard or no, McLane is a very cliche cop name to me. I don't know why. It's so...cop-like.
    Maybe it makes me think McCloud, which in turn makes me think of this

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Honestly, as soon as I saw McLane Die Hard came straight to my mind. Doesn't mean you can't use the name, but you have to decide whether you want people to make that connection. I suspect a lot of them will.

kfmiller likes this.
  18. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

McCloud makes me think of the Star Fox series. :p if the opportunity calls him that, I'll have to resist the urge to picture him as a fox. :D

19. GingerCoffee

It's amazing how much baggage names can have. When I started I just didn't want any names that reminded me of people I know. Now that I changed my character's name from Mayer (a name I just made up) to Greyson, it changed how I view the character.

It's almost fun, I'm going to have to look for more names that would benefit from changing.

kfmiller likes this.
  20. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

@Link the Writer

Dropping my two Zukos:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:D

Ultimately, I don't want people to immediately have an objection to my story before they even start reading it, so I'm going to change it.

Link the Writer likes this.
  21. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

My main character has a name very similar to the werewolf in Twilight. I never read or watched it, so I didn't realize they were similar. But, since my character is a middle-aged non-werewolf, I'm not sure if I should change it.

22. GingerCoffee

Jacob is a pretty common name. I think if you put an Edward in your story and it's not a period piece from the 1800s you'd have issues, but Jacob? I don't think so. And an Edward in the 1800s would be fine as well.

McClane, on the other hand, is a franchise and in addition the OP's character had a lot of similarities.

23. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

What other similarities? I've never seen the movies but what I know of the character my MC is nothing like him. Only similarity is mine used to be a cop before the apocalypse and John McClane is a cop.

24. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

I was going to have a cop named Andrew Blood. As in Drew Blood. And I do like wine with my cheese.

kfmiller and Renee J like this.
  25. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

It wasn't just the first name. His name's Jacob Blakley and the Twilight character is Jacob Black. But, that might be different enough, too.