1. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

Help with digital cameras?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by heal41hp, Jul 6, 2013.

I have been tasked by my dad with finding a digital camera as my own present. I have a $500 limit, though would love to find something awesome below that to save him money. The problem is, I don't know sh*t about digital cameras other than big numbers are good. I'm pretty good at snapping photos but I know next to nothing about the technical specs. I'm also looking for great video capability and, if it comes to it, I would choose video capability over still-photo capability.

Is there anyone out there that can (and is willing to) help me?? :confused:

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Why do you want a camera and what do you intend to do with the pictures/videos later? It'll be easier to give you a recommendation if you're more specific about what you're wanting it to do.

I've worked with everything from basic cheap cameras for holiday snaps to high-tech video cameras for professional filmmaking, so I'd be happy to help once I know what you're looking for.

3. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

Silly me for not providing that to begin with.

I do like taking photos, in general, but I don't have any specific plans for them. I guess if I can find anything interesting enough to shoot I could try selling prints or something... As far as videos go, I want to make YouTube videos.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't know how much you know about photography in general. In the below $500 range you will mostly have all your decisions made for you. That sounds great, but becomes very limiting as you explore photography.

The most important override to have over full-auto is a manual focus option. I once tried to photograph a spiderweb beaded with dewdrops in morning sunlight with a full-auto digital. The stupid camera insisted on focusing on the lawn behind it.

Most of the new midrange cameras shoot video, so you're okay there.

5. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

Good call there. Thanks! I did enjoy the macro capability of the camera I used in high school but it hadn't clicked that I should watch for manual focus rather than just another auto option.

6. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion! The price (on Amazon at least) is a little above my price range, though I suppose I could throw in a little bit of my own money if necessary, and read some reviews on the D3200. There are a few things that sounded iffy about it and I may just look into a straight video camera for now.

7. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

I've got my eye on a camcorder, the Canon VIXIA HF M500. It's got good reviews as far as I've encountered. I found it on Rakuten (I'm completely unfamiliar with the site) bundled with several accessories.

a) Canon Vixia HF M500 Flash Memory 1080p HD Digital Video Camcorder
    b) Zeikos .45x Wide Angle & 2.5x Telephoto Camera/Video Lens Set
    c) Bower 43-37mm Step Down Adapter Ring
    d) Precision Design PD-T12 Flexible Compact Camera Mini Tripod
    e) Precision Design PD-C10 Camera/Camcorder Case
    f) Precision Design 5-Piece Camera & Lens Cleaning Kit
    g) Digital Camera/Camcorder Universal LCD Monitor Screen Protectors

Full listing available for viewing here.

This is almost $75 more (including shipping) than I can get the camcorder elsewhere. I looked up what these things do and they seem useful but is it worth it? I'd eventually like to be producing some nice videos for YouTube, and nice stills would be a great perk, too.

EDIT: I'm tired. That's why I was so slow in looking this up on Amazon to see how much it would all cost on its own. I'd save $3 and get more stuff (assuming none of it demands shipping). But the question remains. Is this stuff worth having?

8. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Cogito is right about the auto focus. It can easily become the bane of your existence. Auto settings are nice but they don't fit all situations by far. A lot of cameras do well outdoors in even lighting but do anything indoor or in dim light and you will definitely begin to see the benefits of shelling out for a nicer camera.

Pcmag is a good site for reviews. They go more in depth with it and really get into all the technical aspects of it.

9. DrimiDoral

DrimiDoral New Member

I'd be happy to help once I know what you're looking for.

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I've been doing photography for a long time, digital included. I use Nikon d300 as a semi-pro camera, but it's heavy and has no video. Which camera and lenses you need largely depends on what sort of subjects you want to be shooting. Street? Landscape? Macro? Wildlife? Portraits and weddings? A little bit of everything?

The new so called mirrorless cameras such as Panasonic Lumix G3 or G6 ( newer model) are all roughly within your price range, and they are an excellent choice. They are light, have a really good video capability and interchangeable lenses (essential for good photography). That would be my recommendation, instead of going for a dslr.

Dslrs are really heavy and cumbersome, and unless you go for a full frame camera, Leica or a Hasselblad, optically the new mirrorless ones are as good. My main problem with a dslr is the weight. With my 17-55mm 2.8 Nikkor lens, it weighs over 2kg and I hurt my wrist with it after 5 years of shooting. Cannons are somewhat lighter, but still cumbersome and heavy when compared to the new Panasonics.

Whichever camera you are considering, look up reviews by Ken Rockwell (just google the name of the camera and his name). He is one of the most comprehensive and competent reviewers out there. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any other questions :)