1. ObsidianVale

ObsidianVale Member

Writing and Reading

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ObsidianVale, Jul 24, 2010.

I LOVE to read. i don't mean that lightly i L.O.V.E. Reading. In highschool person A would say hey do you know Obsidionvale? and the person B would be like, who? and person A would reply "you know that girl who sits on the bench in the morning and reads?" and person B would go "Oh! ya! i know who your talking about!"

So yes i love reading and as some one who wants to become a writer i was always inspired by whatever i read and i would go off in my own head and imagine allllll sorts of possibilites. But now i think my reading is hurting my writing.

When ever i read something my own inner stories take on the elements of the book im reading. My characters with start doing things and suddenly i realized that there not doing these things because thats the type of character they are they are doing it because of some other characters i've read about. it feels like im trying to find my story and i have to sift through everyone elses stories to get to it. so whats the only solution i can think of? stop reading. i hate that idea. i want to keep reading but if it keeps me from truely seeing my own story do i have any other choice?

does anyone have any suggestions on how you can keep your story and other peoples stories separarted in you mind?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

This is a well trod subject here at the forum. The answer depends on you.

I too suffer from aping syndrome. When I read back over older things I have written, it is balefully obvious what I was reading at the time.

My cure? When I am in a good streak of writing, put my reading away.

Others will come into this thread and talk about finding your own voice and how this never happens to them because their inner writer's voice is so strong and hewn and perfected.

Good for them.

What works for me is to put me reading away for the time being. It will always be there when the muse stops feeding me. ;)

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I don't lol as I read my story elements of stories I have loved throughout my life from books and TV have creeped in. Whilst my world that I have created for novel is nothing like Eternia, the idea that it could be in the centre of the universe probably came from He-Man, fixed points are probably Dr Who, there are elements of my religious beliefs in it, the Wolf's personality is based on a dog I had lol I have a couple who have a boys school a bit like Jo March in Little Women etc

It is entirely my own work but doubt I have a single unique idea:)

4. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

I don't see this as a bad thing. When you do find your story (which you surely will) after sifting through other's stories, your story will be all the more richer. I am not sure I am making any sense, so I'll stop here :)

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

This kind of thing happens to most writers, probably. The stories you're telling may have been told before, or very similar stories, anyway, but that's all right. What matters is what you bring to the stories - your own vision, your own style.

You're an artist, and artists evolve creatively. Their own voices become stronger and stronger and more unique. When the Beatles started out, they were playing the same songs everybody else was: standard three-chord basic rock just like a thousand other bands. But they grew as songwriters and musicians and wound up with a body of work that is unique, and uniquely Beatles. They greatly advanced the art of rock songwriting and before long thousands of other bands were copying them. The same kind of thing happened to Bob Dylan: he started out as a pretty slavish Woody Guthrie imitator and wound up as possibly the most influential songwriter on Earth before the Sixties were over.

You're still young, aren't you? If your stories are similar to others, don't worry. Keep working at it, and those elements that are yours and yours alone will emerge and come to the forefront. You will gain confidence and individuality. Just don't lose faith in yourself.

So I say keep reading and don't worry about it.