1. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

Short Story To Update or not Update

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by RaeRae, Feb 26, 2013.

SO I have over 100 unfinished short stories that span 25 yrs. Some of the older ones that I wrote in high school and even grammar school still get a few tweaks when I think of a new idea for them. Now, 25 years is a quite a haul bu there is the deal. Should I revamp the old ones to reflect modern times OR leave them in their written era and just continue on from there? Technology has change a lot but some of the even older science fiction books from the 1950's forward hold the attention of fans. The amount of stories ideas are a constant flow so it would take decades for me to catch up to the newer stuff I want to write OR...do I start on the newer ideas and work on the older stuff in between? Still need to figure out though, if I want "To update or not update". Suggestions anyone? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx :eek:

2. Bimber

Bimber New Member

If the events take place in that period i see no reason why you should unless you stated its present time but even then i would suggest just fixing the date so its clear in which period its happening
    But bottom line is its up to you its your story tell it how you want...

hope it helps btw did you try to publish any of them?

3. iolair

iolair Active Member

Personally, unless you have an absolute 'killer' story among them that will take the world by storm, I would just go onward with new material. But, that's just me.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since it seems you just write them and let them lie there unread by anyone other than yourself, it doesn't matter how 'current' the details are...

if you ever decide to submit any for publication, that would be the time to make a decision...