1. mrwriting

mrwriting New Member

What is the easiest and cheapest way of getting published?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by mrwriting, Mar 26, 2010.

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum. I was wondering what is the easiest and cheapest way of getting published?

Sometimes I spend a small fortune buying various issues of target magazines whom I plan to send work. There is my local library(which hardly has any magazines)

Any ideas.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I don't know if there is an 'easy' way to get published. Write the best piece you can for the target market (be it Nonfiction how-to, genre fiction in short story or novel length, etc.)

Cheap? I guess find markets that accept online submissions as opposed to postal submissions.

If your writing is great quality and the content would be of interest to readers (for the markets you submit to), your work will find its way to being published.

Don't know if that answers your question, but it's a start.

Good luck.

Terry

3. mrwriting

mrwriting New Member

Thanks I will take the advise on board.

4. FrankB

FrankB New Member

The easiest and cheapest way is to print your work out, staple it together and try hawking it on street corners.

But if you'd rather your work appear in actual magazines or books, you'll have to write something that editors determine the public wants to read.

Which ain't easy. On the other hand, email has made submitting much cheaper today than in the 70s when I started.

Invest in the latest edition of Writer's Market. Don't try to get away with reading the library's copy. Study the first hundred-some pages. They provide an overview of the business and contain valuable information on the process of submitting.

Then study the markets sections, paying particular attention to editorial needs and submission guidelines. Check the online sites of markets you're interested in to be sure the information you got from WM is still current. You may also want to consider subscribing to their online database. But if you're a wet-behind-the-ears newbie, start out with the book first.

And the sooner you drop "easy" from your mindset, the more likely you might actually earn a byline one of these days.

Good luck.

5. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

If you're looking toward magazine submissions, you can always go with Duotrope. (free online)

As to the Writer's Market, buying the book also gets you membership in the website with has tons of supercurrent information.

There isn't really an easy way. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

which, while easy and cheap, does not get you 'published'...

easy and cheap can't be attained together, when it comes to publishing, sorry to say... unless, that is, you have a friend or relative in the biz who'll take your work hot off your printer and accept it for publication without you having to go through the usual query and submission rigmarole...

www.duotrope.com is your best/easiest bet for finding appropriate fiction and poetry magazines, or book publishers...