1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Writing Backwards?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, May 27, 2012.

Specifically, have you ever written something, and then felt like you had to keep going backwards in the plot, as you still haven't found the beginning? The reason why is because this happened twice for me, although the second had to do with it being a bad place tone wise to begin things.

So, has this happened to you? Am I getting worried over nothing, since the plot is getting written? Or does this mean that the plot has some issues that need looking at? I always did find the beginning the hardest part, and perhaps this is why.

2. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

This has never happened to me. But then again, I'm the type of person that essentially plans out the major plot points in my story before I even put pen to paper. I'll think of extra sub-plots in the middle of writing, but I'm always expanding the middle of the story rather than adding more things to the beginning. So in one way you shouldn't have anything to worry about because I've certainly added to the story after already having "cemented" the major plot points... but perhaps it's a little weird that you keep adding stuff to the beginning. I suppose if the whole story works then there isn't anything wrong with it. And certainly it's better to make such a change than to not add anything in the first place.

3. louis1

louis1 Member

never happened to me, cause like agentkirb, i do a lot of planning. and by a lot i mean i don't write a word before i know what the characters breath smells like during each and every scene.
    anyway, i don't think you have to worry about this. if you come up with something good, that it's a great way to write. if it works for you no problem!

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I can just echo the two previous posters. I'm the same, a planner. It does sound a little weird. Maybe you could try to think more thoroughly about it and work out the plot points before starting, if this bothers you?

5. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Yes, it looks like I have quite a bit different type of writing than you guys.:p Planning... has never worked out for me. I'm a much more chaotic type I realize now.

With that in mind, thanks, and so far, it isn't too bad.

6. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

Dude, I actually know what you're talking about! I CANNOT start a story where I think the beginning should be. Unfortunately, I'm also at a loss for how to remedy this. Maybe I should not bother writing that elusive "real" beginning? It's just so scary for some reason!

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Start your story where your story starts :D

Where does the action start? What triggers the story that is your novel? Start at the trigger or slightly before the trigger.

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I haven't done this, either, and I'm not a planner. But whatever gets the story written. Agents, publishers, and readers don't care one whit how you did it. ;)

9. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

True, and honestly, it does appear I'm at least discovering more about how I write, to say the least.

10. KMilz

KMilz New Member

I've gotta disagree with most people on here - writing a story backwards can be a great way to go about things. You already have that perfect, awesome, climactic scene in your head? Then start there! Get to know your characters and the ending, and then you can plan everything backwards.

It works very well. You can make sure that everything connects so easily, going from the events leading up to the climax to what happened before that and what happened before that. You can make sure that every little bit of your story matters, and is important, because you'll know exactly what needs to be done to reach that final point.

It helps for developing twists, too, because when you know exactly how it twists at the end, you can develop those points out quite well throughout the rest of the story. By the time you're back at the beginning, you've got the smallest little details that will seem unimportant but will amount to something huge at the end. It can have quite the effect.

I should say, though, that this is only in regards to prewriting, getting your ideas down and what not. I would not write an actual story backwards unless I was going for some sort of reverse chronological shit, but that's not what you're talking about. So for developing ideas, it can be very helpful. For writing an actual story... I can't say the same would hold true.

11. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

Robert Jordan wrote each installment in the Wheel of Time series by simply having three or four major events he had already planned to have be covered in one book. He didn't exactly know how he was going to get the story from one point to the next, but he just started writing and it worked out pretty damn well. You've probably heard this a lot - probably know this already - but the story will start to almost write itself. From there it's much easier.

12. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

The scene that spurred me to write a story ended up being in chapter 10. I wrote what was hot at the time until I had a very holey story and then went back and colored in the empty places. Maybe not the best method but it worked; the story is finished and after a great dealt of polish is a respectable story.

13. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Usually when I'm tempted to start writing a story at the end, I end up realizing that it's actually the beginning, and what I thought was the story is really backstory.

14. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

In my case the scene that inspired me to write my current WIP eventually got dropped! It was a painful decision but I knew it had to go long before I actually killed it.

15. JonSpear360

JonSpear360 Member

I understand both sides. I am NOT a planner, or outliner. That said, I usually have a pretty clear outline of the story in my head before I start writing, even if that is just character arc or character past, so I always start a story in the action so it isn't a ton of exposition to begin with. You are thrown right into the fray, and then as the pages progress you slowly understand what is happening and I seem to think that flows the best for the type of stories I tend to write.

When I first saw the title for this post, I was under the assumption that you were writing the last chapter and then fleshing out how every character got to that. That could be effective but I can guarantee you that by the time you get to that final chapter the character's voice will be DRASTICALLY different. So just be aware of that probability.

But I guess my comment would just be - Who cares? Who cares how you start writing, as long as you're writing. Most professional writers believe strongly that the actual story is created in revision and editing, so as long as you're getting you thoughts on paper you are well above most hobbyist writers. It's really easy to procrastinate with social networking, online videos, even forums and "how-to-write" type tutorials. As long as you're writing, I wouldn't fret how you are getting to your ideas.

16. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Wow that smarts! But good for you. I think the inability to cut what isn't needed is one of the seven deadly sins of writing. (I don't know what the other sins would be because I just made that up but it sounded good and I couldn't cut it.) :D

17. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Yes. Well, again, I've figured out of late I'm a rather chaotic writer, especially as pre-planning... never has worked out.

18. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Writing backward is how I'm writing the book I"m on right now. And it's working really well for me.

I started with the beginning, then did the end, now am working on the middle in terms of how things get to be the way they end up.

19. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I just found this thread, and it's very interesting to me. For the project I'm on right now, a historical, I am following a plan of researching going forward in time (from about 1500), then planning going backwards, then writing going forward. It's the only way I can make sure that everything gets tied together the way I want it.

20. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 New Member

Stephenie Meyer wrote from the middle to the end and then wrote the beginning. It worked for her!

21. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'd say write it how you like depending on experience. If it's your first novel, then I wouldn't write backwards. But if you've written a few novels by now and feel confident about what works and what doesn't, then I think make a nice little plan so you have a skeleton to look at, work out if it sits right, and give it a go :) Regardless of everything else, if you think writing backwards works for your book, then clearly "the end" is your beginning, I wouldn't worry about it unless more than one or two of your proofreaders/editors/beta readers complain :)

22. ...

... New Member

many writers experience the same thing. Look at Star Wars...

that's just one example.

I'd say largely ignore the past and save it for another story. you can add them together later.

23. Roger Morris

Roger Morris New Member

A similar thing happened about 2 years ago to me except that I had a beginning to the story but I kept on forgetting the plot. I sometimes forget things especially if I have so many things in my mind...

24. mclanier235

mclanier235 New Member

I normally work out the ending before I ever write the first word. I find this makes it much easier having a destination for me to write towards. This isn't necessarily writing backwards, but there are many strengths to that approach. I think you avoid loopholes more and keep the continuity of your story easier. Bottom line... do what works for you =)