1. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Ending your piece

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by No-Name Slob, Jun 21, 2015.

In this case, I'm referring to creative non-fiction. My process usually doesn't include an outline for these works, since they're just silly stories about life. When I draft outlines, I think deeply about the story, and this particular piece doesn't really require that much forethought -- in fact it could be detrimental for me to overanalyze it to death.

I prefer to just let it out, and go back and make revisions when writing in this style. But I've always struggled with the conclusion. The beginning works fine for me, but after reading my first drafts, I often feel that they end abruptly. But there is a dance between droning on and ending a piece thoroughly, and I feel that the steps aren't natural to me.

If you're able to relate, what helps you remedy this predicament, and why do you think you end up with abrupt conclusions in the first place?

2. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Is it a short story or something longer?

I would think of the 'cause and effect' scenario. What effects would the conclusions have upon the characters/environment and so forth.

It's hard to actually state anything without seeing an example because there are various factors that would dictate how a story ends.

3. No-Name Slob

I don't really feel ready to put it on display here, but it's short. More of an essay of sorts -- 850 words.

4. The Mad Regent

So technically it's a short story.

Most, if not all, the short stories I've ever read end in some kind of defining moral: a seed of wisdom that gets us thinking and interpreting.

The trick is to give it a punch. Though, that's really the point of a conclusion in itself. How does the main concept turn out?

Sometimes abrupt isn't the bad thing, but leaving things unanswered would be. Maybe that's what you're getting at?

5. No-Name Slob

It's answered, but it still feels abrupt to me. Maybe I overanalyze my endings? I'll PM it to you, if you want to read it and tell me how much it sucks.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Your best bet would be to read some creative nonfiction and see how others end their pieces. But if you want some quick input/thoughts on it, feel free to PM me.

7. The Mad Regent

I'm sure it doesn't suck, but I'll give it a read if you want me to.

Also, @thirdwind approach is a good idea as well.

8. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Fin

No-Name Slob and The Mad Regent like this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

In my blog, I tend to end with "That is all."

10. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

Interesting question. I think finding the answer just comes down to experience though. Experiment and see what works and what doesn't. If you feel something is not right, add more obstacles or take some away. There is no right or wrong answer. If you feel it is ending too abruptly then maybe you're missing a perspective in the story you overlooked. Perspective I think is just another word for conflict. If you're missing it, throw a wrench into one of your plot points or points of view and twist and then maybe you'll find the cushion and completeness you're looking for.

I feel what's really helped me was learning about dramatica and the four throughlines that it says all perfect and complete stories need to have in order to feel complete. Stories like Star Wars and all of the Pixar movies are believed to be good examples of this. I recommend looking it up.