1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Writing career goals?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BillyxRansom, Mar 9, 2010.

What goals do you hope to achieve with your writing career? Try to be specific if you can. Do you hope to make an actual career out of this?

Thanks.

2. Stormyyy

Stormyyy Member

Im only 14 but one day i hope to be able to entertain thousands of people through my books.

3. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

My goal is to make enough money at it to be able to quit my 'day job' and write full-time - preferably in a cottage overlooking the Irish Sea or, if the spirit moves me, to head to a little apartment in St. Petersburg (No. Not Florida!). And, then, when I get homesick, I want to be able to travel on back to the homeland for a spell to visit with family and friends before heading for my personal retreat once more. I want to be able to sleep until ten. have a leisurely mid-morning brunch. Work on my writing until dinner. Have a nice dinner prepared by my exceptional maid, chef, (depending on my level of success at the given time.) Then I can write for a few more hours, go running or cycling for a while, take a bath or shower and go out with friends at least 3 times a week. I want to be able to make such a living that I will have a substantial estate so my kids and grandkids will be able to go to college without having to worry about how to pay for it.

I want to be sufficiently well-known as a writer that, when I walk into a party, even strangers will recognize me, but not so well-known that I am constantly accosted on the street.

I want to be comfortably well-off so that I never have to juggle paying which utility bills this month. I want to be able to pay off my mortgage in half the time, give the house to my son, and then take up my residence in my ancestral home.

And then, I want to 'live happily ever after'. :D

(Specific enough for ya?)

4. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce Contributing Member

Remember, you're never to young to start working towards a career. My first gig was when I was 15 and writing for Gamers Hell at 50 dollars a review (got to keep the game too). Had to fake an ID, but even got a press pass to E3, which was a pretty big event. Later on that past experience helped me work with the Icelandic Developer CCP to promote the fiction in their Eve Online series. Was even invited down to Iceland for an in-house test and release party. I wasn't more than 16 or 17.

Being published on the internet used to be something different, now with blogs and such many writers are overlooked simply because the whole is just too vast. Journalism is dying, and it's a pity because I determined early in life that I would never make money as a serial novelist and that the press was the only thing left that offered writers a safe haven.

To young writers especially: Never forget to live and understand your roots. You'll forever be reminded of them, and you'll learn to jive with this philosophy deeper and deeper the older you get.

With my first book, which I'm working on now, I've set a lot of specific goals in feelings and ideals that I want to attach. My objective isn't simply to entertain people, but to confront their faith, their fears and their dreams. We're not talking about radically altering people's perception of things, since that only works (as the old quote mentions) on the people who's minds are already ready to be changed. But that intensity in emotion keeps your work pretty healthy. (Though you may die insane and screaming, "I've put Caiaphas in chains!")

Thewordsmith: If we believe in fairy tales then my writing goal is to...**** writing, I want to be a rockstar. Your cottage can suck it.

5. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

Aw, c'mon Lettuceman! Even rockstars have to have some quiet place to get away from the rabble. Walked that street for a brief period (actor not musician) and also traveled with musician friends on occasion. It gets a little hectic and, when, on your twentieth night on the road you can't remember if you are in Portland, Maine or Sacramento, California or Jacksonville, Mississippi (or is it Florida?) a little quiet time starts looking pretty good. Y'gotta have an out every now and then, y'know?

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've been a 'serious' writer [as in it's been my one and only 'career'] for over a quarter century and at 71 now, having divested myself of 'self' nearly 15 years ago, i have no goals...

the purpose of all of my writings [ever since i swore off writing for money in '95], has been to enlighten its readers [to whatever extent is possible]... it's nice to know it has done that for many...

7. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce Contributing Member

I suppose it's true. Course you don't get many brilliant authors who are just too drunk and tripped out on shrooms to give their daily lecture at Berkley.

But your description is the dream, man.

8. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund Contributing Member

My goals, in order:

-Finish a best-selling novel and get it published.
    -Earn obscene amounts of money from said best-seller.
    -Use said wealth to find cures for the frequent writer's block, concentration issues, temporary depressive periods and critically short attention span I suffer from.
    -With these disabilities out of the way, use improved mental faculties to write all kinds of awesome stuff.
    -Publish said stuff, earn even more money.
    -Use said money to find the secret to eternal life.
    -World domination! (Via awesome writing.)

So, yeah, I'm basically Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes.

I was also thinking about becoming a humble man with a realistic outlook on life somewhere along the way, but I wasn't sure where to fit that into the rest of my plan.

9. Endricte

Endricte Member

Right now, my goal is to finish a novel. Nothing spectacular about that. I've started many novels, finished the first draft of a couple but decided to move on, so now I figure if I can at least finish one completely I'll have accomplished something.

After that: Get a novel published.

After that: Make money writing novels.

After that: Live a good life, get married, raise some kids, sit out on the back porch with a good book in my hand and a glass of sweet tea enjoying the sun.

That's the dream anyway.

10. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Contributing Member Contributor

Every letter of every word written is the goal and its fulfillment. I don't really go further than that in my mind; just take it one letter at a time.

11. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa Senior Member

Writing career goals? None at all.

Writing goals? Plenty. To learn the craft of a writer, working on the language humbly. To be able to achieve clarity, balance and beauty in my texts, as well as good plots etc.