1. The-anonymous-writer

The-anonymous-writer New Member

I need some help naming this girl...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by The-anonymous-writer, Dec 22, 2009.

She is a good character who is pretty and nice but is also strong.
    Her name needs to sound OK with the name Alexander because that's the guy she is in love with.
    I want her name to be pretty and not too simple or common but not too frilly or weird. Though a bit unique is still good. ;)

Any ideas?

2. hszmv

hszmv New Member

Babynames.com for all your character name needs.

3. taylor.kuykendall

taylor.kuykendall New Member

Trouble Is....

The problem with this topic is that you are going to have to create this personality, and force the name to match those traits.

Just thinking about the traits you gave, I think of the name Michelle, but only because I know a girl (guess her name) that fits those traits. The same name may mean nothing to someone else.

Further examples... I will never have a good first impression of anyone named Kellan. I had a bad experience with one, and never had an experience with anyone named Kellan that was good enough to redeem the name. I imagine someone marries a Kellan just about every day.

I think the only factor you are working with here is a name that sounds good with Alexander, but isn't overused...

Some ideas (so as not to totally rain on the thread):

Crosby & Alexander
    Alexander & June (Favorite)
    Sierra & Alexander

4. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I would say Carina, Michaela or Phoebe. They're the first names that came to me.

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

If you are wanting something a little unusual, and not a 'classic' type of name, you really need to decide on:

- when she was born (names have fashions),
    - where she is from (English names are different from e.g. American or Welsh names, and there are also some unusual regional names in England, try Googling),
    - what religion she is, (although she may not have religious parents, but e.g. Catholic names, like 'Stellamaris', are often different),
    - what social background she has, if she is English (believe me, some names in England are--still--influenced by where your parents are in the social strata, and on your parents' political leanings and jobs). American authors are very bad at choosing suitable names for English characters, especially aristocratic names. I bet English authors make plenty of mistakes as well when they have an American character.
    - the character of the person who originally chose the name (e.g. a romantic mother might choose 'Arabella' or something). If she has unloving parents, IMO they wouldn't choose a very sweet and pretty name.
    - if her name is in fact a shortened form, or she goes by a nickname e.g. 'Trinny' that everyone uses so it's become like her real name.

and probably a million other things!These were just off the top of my head.

6. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Crosby sounds like weird boys' name, or a surname to me. It also seems like a singing duo from the 60s. I've never heard of it as a girl's name, but PLEASE note I'm saying this because I'm English.

Sierra just sounds celeb. Are there other girls called this?

See what I mean about being careful to choose a name according to where a person is from, and their age?
    If you are in the US, I couldn't advise you, as I really have a hard time knowing what a run-of-the-mill name is there--so many of the names, including Kellan (never met anyone called that--it's Irish?) are unusual to a non-American...

7. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

^^This is great advice.

8. writewizard

writewizard New Member

So You Want To Change Her Name...

99.9% of the time, I've found that if you're writing out the story, you can write the entire story, go back through and change the names at the end. However, I like to not have to do that, so here are a few names:

Alexander & Samantha
    Alexander & Elizabeth
    Alexander & Johanna
    Alexander & Mariamma

Hope these helped. Just keep in mind your charachter and her strengths and weakensses. Luckily, there are thousands of baby naming websites out there, and you can get a great idea from them. Then, you can look up the definition of the name on another website or the same website.

Good luck -

9. LastTrainHome

LastTrainHome New Member

Thats exactly where I go :p

As for the OP: how about Lucie? Its a common name with a slightly unusual spelling (but not so unusual that it is unheard of and impossible to pronounce) and I think its quite a pretty name and goes well with Alexander.

10. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

I agree it's very bad form to create the personality and name the character to fit that personality. That doesn't happen in real life very often. I know a girl named Dawn who isn't a morning person. It can happen, but you're bound to hurt your crediblity by forcing the character into a name that'll suit their style.

As was mentioned some of the best ways to pick a name is to consider the envirnoment. Religious people name their kids with religious names. People in other countries have longer or shorter names. Depending on who named her, where she lived, what time period she lived, etc., should have an influence on what she's named.

And unless the parents knew each and thought it cute that they have "matching" names having her named so it fits with Alexander is also a bad idea. What's the odds that the person who named her sat and thought "hey, her name should fit with that other kid!"

Also, babynames.com is a great source to start with, as mentioned. I use that myself.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Chuckle.

Nevertheless, I prefer not to tailor the name to character attributes, for the most part. I did create a character named Todd who was destined to die horribly, but that's about as obvious as I care to get.

12. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

For me, Jack was always a name identified with the snot-nosed, bug-eyed, pain-in-the-butt kid down the street. Kid was stupid and homely. I hated the persona I had come to associate with that name. Then, along came the Hunt for Red October with its hero Jack Ryan. Changed my view of the name "Jack".

My point is, it really doesn't matter what name you give your character. It only matters how you develop the persona in the eyes of the reader...it's all about your skill as a story teller. The only thing you should do is avoid the obvious cliché names like Cleo (for Cleopatra) or Alexandria (too similar).

13. Angel-Eyes

Angel-Eyes New Member

I usually start with the names. As soon as I know that I want my character to be either boy or girl I think of the name. Then I start thinking about who that character is. Like there is already said, names often don't match personality's the way that you want it.

14. ipromise

ipromise New Member

How about Maddi? That sounds nice with Alexander.

15. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I usuallty go to NameThatGoth, which has all kinds of themed names. I suggest Katherine or Josephine, since they are both queens that could go with your king. If you don't like them, you could always change the spelling or shorten them. For example, I wanted my leading lady's name to be Katherine, but it didn't look quite right, so I changed it to Kathryn.