1. pippin1710

pippin1710 Member

Writing Classes

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by pippin1710, Jul 21, 2009.

I am having trouble deciding on whether i should sign up for a writers craft course in my last year of high school.
    Although i want to write well, I also think it would be harder to get into University with this course. also thinking it will not be as useful since im applying to a business program. I think I need help with the theory part of my writing since i mostly run with imagination but just curious if other people have any experience and advice on progams and if their are other course available after highschool?

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributing Member Contributor

There are definitely courses available after high school. If you don't want to take the class in high school because you're concerned about it making it more difficult for you to get into the college you want, you could always wait and take a writing class as an elective in college.

3. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

You can also attend your local community college and take a creative writing course there.

4. FairyTales&Whiskey

FairyTales&Whiskey New Member

Take it while it's free in highschool! I liked my class; I'm lazy as hell so it forced me to get some of my ideas down on paper in an orderly fashion, which helped me in the long run.

5. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

If you like writing - take it. It is generally easier than English, I speak of course by experience. I took it and did very well in it, and it also really does help your writing, specifically in my case, my teacher really gave me a boost of confidence after reading some of my writing. I think of it as a good way to see whether your writing is generally accepted, if you do well in the course, you know you are doing a general OKAY job at writing. :)

6. *BK*

*BK* Member

I was just about to make a similar post so I've decided not to since this is here. I see most people are recommending writing classes. I was wondering if anyone would recommend online classes?

With my busy schedule, they would fit me best. I was thinking of taking a variety of classes to build my ability to use the English language and to make sure I have clear communication. Also, English wasn't my strong point in High School.

Do you guys think this is a good route to go?

7. pippin1710

pippin1710 Member

Thanks for all the responses and I plan on trying to get in if its not to late.

8. Zybahn

Zybahn New Member

I haven't taken any online courses myself, but a friend had a really good experience with one. She registered for the course simply to work with a specific writer/instructor. The "course" was essentially a one-on-one workshop through correspondence. Normally I am skeptical with online courses but if you do some research & find exactly what you want I can imagine it could be useful.

9. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

This is a really interesting topic, as my local college dropped a booklet through my letter box advertising various courses, one of which is a creative writers course. Its £60 for 10 weeks (i'm guessing 1 evening class every week). I'm unsure whether it would be my thing, as I'm half way through my 1st draft and think I would only really benefit from one on one discussions rather than a class about the basics, but my thirst for knowledge and dead cats means I'm still considering it! Any advice?:rolleyes:

10. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

All I know is that the second I can fit it in one of my semester, I will be taking a creative fiction writing class.