1. ASBPunkin

ASBPunkin New Member

Writing Coaches?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ASBPunkin, Sep 4, 2008.

I had someone suggest to me that I get a writing coach to help me with my writing and ideas and help me improve my skills.
    I was wondering what you do with a writing coach and if you would suggest one. I've never really heard of a writing coach before, so I don't know much about them. Any information would be really helpful.

Thank you :)

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

This might be a stupid question, but what is a writing coach? :confused:

3. biddy

biddy Member

Is a writing coach the same as a mentor?

4. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

I imagine that it would be the same thing as a tutor only you focus on creative writing, I see no reason not to get one. You would probably work on whatever skills you feel you need to develop and workshopping existing pieces to be ready for publishing.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I would say that what Maia offers is along those lines. She volunteers her time to work closely with writers, giving in-depth reviews and suggestions for improvements. I believe she also gives out "assignments", but I think hers are mostly in terms of revisions of your own work (I have not made use of her services myself, but have heard a little from some who have).

In a way, a writing coach performs much the same function as this site does, except that:
    1. The writing coach is an experienced writer and an educator rather than a committee of mixed experience levels and opinions.
    2. You get one on one attention with a coach
    3. A coach will follow up with you on assignments

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

The term "coach" also implies the occasional kick in the *** when the writer might need to overcome writing obstacles like procrastination or block.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!... that's what i do...

the 'assignments' i hand out are usually not connected to the "mentee's" own work... if i see someone has a hard time writing visually, i'll have them write a paragraph each on 3 different scenes i set, such as: a boy alone in a room; a city lying in ruins; a couple having an argument... same goes for problems with sentence structure and all other kinds of writing bugbears...

all of which apply to what i am/do, though i've never been an official 'educator'... the only difference is that i call what i do 'mentoring' and do it for free, while 'coaches' will usually charge for their services...

i certainly do that, too!

feel free to email me any time for details...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com