1. AJSmith

AJSmith Senior Member

Writing conference

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AJSmith, Jul 29, 2011.

Our local writer's guild is putting on a conference that I am considering attending. The following are some quotes pulled from the website:

Enjoy daily sessions with nationally known authors, agents, editors, and publishers. This three day annual conference brings these literary gurus straight to you, ready to share with you their vast knowledge of how to write well and get published.

We also offer manuscript reviews for authors who would like to get a professional opinion of their work, based on style and marketability. A professional review can be extremely expensive, but we offer an expert evaluation of your work for only $35 by one of our nationally acclaimed conference speakers.

So my questions:

1. Does this sound like something worth attending (at the cost of about $270)

2. With the manuscript review, can anyone read between the lines for me on that and give me a better idea of what it means?

3. Is it worth submitting my manuscript for review at this event if I will only have the second draft completed?

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm just curious...do they mention who any of the "nationally known authors, agents, etc" happen to be?

As for the manuscript review, I would think that anything done at a conference like this would be perfunctory at best. Also, I would never submit anything for review until I was certain it was as good as I could make it on my own, and for me, that's a lot more than the second draft (YMMV).

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

In general, avoid paying people to read your work. In a teaching/conference environment maybe there is some small caveat to that, I don't know. But as a general rule, people offering to review or edit your work for money should be avoided.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Conferences are good ways to network, but $270 seems awful steep, unless that includes hotel room or the like--or at least meals. You can check the schedule and see what day would be best to attend as it's local. Usually Saturdays. The rate would be reduced to gain admittance to the conference.

If you have a manuscript ready, having someone read and having face time with them may be worth your $35.00. But only if they are an agent/publisher that would represent/publish your work (and that you would want to represent/publish your work). Avoid 'Book Doctors' or actually even authors reading and giving an opinion (unless they're like a regular NYTimes Best Seller) because they can give you an opinion, but it's not the same as getting face time with an editor/agent. What are the chances that an author is going to say, "Hey, I liked this so much I'll recommend you to my agent." whereas editors and agents attend conferences not only to network some, but they hope to find a gem. That's my opinion.

Be prepared for the conference and don't be a wall flower. When there's a chance, ask questions. Introduce yourself to people. Not only the famous, but writers like you who may be working on that first novel or whatever. You might find a good resource or crit partner or something. Collect business cards, and have some of your own with contact info (especially email).

You can also research to see if it's an annual conference and seems to be 'respected' by those in the industry and those that attend, and how many people usually attend.

If you decide to go, good luck and I hope it leads to great things.

5. AJSmith

AJSmith Senior Member

Thanks you all for the responses.

Thanks. I honestly wasn't sure what this review entailed. Thinking about it now, it was kind of a silly question, as I agree that I would not want my stuff reviewed at this point.

Thanks for this. I might look into day prices.

I've seen this advice a lot, and so wanted to check if this was a similar situation. Thanks :)