1. Bwater

Bwater Member

Writing courses

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Bwater, Jun 26, 2014.

Hi can anyone recommend any decent creative writing courses? Iv looked at the open university which look ok, but its a broader topic than I am personally interested in.
    Iv also looked at the writers bureau but can't help feeling it's a little bit of a con.

I'm uk based if that helps

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I took several courses from the Gotham Writers Workshop and had a good experience with them. I don't regret taking the courses - I got good feedback from actual professional writers, and good feedback from other serious students. I think it was valuable to me. I don't think I learned much that I couldn't have learned just by reading how-to books on writing, but there are thousands of them. Sturgeon's Law says ninety percent of them are crap, so how is a novice to know which ten percent are worthwhile? Workshops help with that. The Gotham courses reinforced the good lessons I'd learned from the books and helped me forget the garbage.

Gotham also helped me develop a good eye for knowing whether writing advice is good or not. I know which how-to books are valuable and which can be pitched into the trash without regretting it later.

The Gotham workshop is centered in New York City, but they take students from everywhere. You don't have to be in New York, or even in the United States. Some of the students I studied with in those courses were from overseas; it's not a big deal.

Whitepaws likes this.