Writing Education question

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Augen Blick, Apr 26, 2014.

1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It's true that I have not commented on works posted in the Workshop for quite some time. I do, however, comment on questions posted by members, and I suspect @jannert was referring to that. When I do, I give my honest opinion. If there is an industry standard that I know of, I say so. If I'm not sure, I say that, too, and defer to others who may know better than I. It's no crime to say, "I don't know" or "I'm not sure".

minstrel, KaTrian, peachalulu and 4 others like this.
  2. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

My earlier statement was poorly written because it sounded like I was speaking for the forum. I went to his blog and read an excerpt from one of his books, I, myself, me, and Okon liked it. I just wanted to throw something positive in there.

By the way, the intensity towards the end was hilarious with the quoting mishaps:D.

EdFromNY and jannert like this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm sorry to see him leave on such a bad note, and wish him all the best in his writing.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Integrity and sincerity are virtues well worth wielding. :)

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Even though he is gone for reasons made really quite clear in this thread, he indeed has a blog, and I'm sure he'll be glad to help those writers who want to learn from him, about his style, the things that have worked for him, etc. so even though he is banned from here, it doesn't mean the learning has to end.

@Augen Blick
    To get back to the topic: when you're looking for educational material on writing, it might help to know what kind of stories you want to write. Some books focus on teaching genre-writing, some may discuss general technique, typical pitfalls, etc. The internet is full of information in case you're on a tight budget (like myself). I've enjoyed The Editor's Blog, for example, as it's clear and not too over-bearing (as in this is the gospel truth). Then there's Writer's Digest, and many more.

I don't know much about creative writing courses, but it's a good idea to check the credentials of the teacher and google information about the specific courses beforehand to find out whether they'd be suitable for your needs.