1. Lyssaur

Lyssaur Member

Writing Every Day

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lyssaur, Aug 21, 2010.

Do you think it's important? I know some people make it a point to write something every day, however short, while others think it's better just to write when the inspiration hits.

Personally, I wouldn't say every day. I try to write at least once a week when I'm not in school. In school, I write for fun whenever the mood strikes. Writing essays and such may not be the same as writing for pleasure, but it still exercises your skills.

2. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

Well. Someone that plays the guitar for fun might practice once a week, a pro musician practices every day. Go figure.

3. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

I agree with you w176. People say it's good to write everyday. And I try. But it just doesn't cut it for me. I tend to write better when my imagination prompts me to.

4. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

A professional musician preforms at every single gig, and practices every single day, no matter if it feels hard some days and some days the flow just don't come easily. An armature just plays when the mood strikes and when the flow comes easily. Go figure, once again.

5. Nervous1st

Nervous1st Senior Member

What I would give to have the time to write everyday.

Yes, I want to be a serious writer. Yes, I think I should be writing everyday but alas, there are only so many hours in a day.

6. Taylee91

Yeah, exactly. Work, work, and more work. Not enough time to write. Not enough time to think clearly.

7. erik martin

erik martin Contributing Member

Lately I write something everyday. I used to make excuses, time and such, but I have made it a priority and generally get something down at least six days a week. Of course work cuts into writing time, and if I am in school, maybe a thesis paper will count. I find that even if I dont feel like writing, if I sit down and write a few sentences, I get in the flow and turn out at least a few pages without too much trouble.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I write almost everyday. However if I have a block in my story I find a day away walking on the beach, or in the woods helps me get the story back. Gives me a fresh perspective when I come back to it.

I am deliberatly not writing anything tomorrow not even an email or a letter, I am struggling with a scene so i am going out with the kids and not even taking a pad or paper with me.

9. Taylee91

Good idea. Hyper-focusing on something can get wearying. Hope you have fun. Time with you family always seems to be a good medicine.

T1

10. Phlogiston

Phlogiston Member

I'd like to have the time. I do write every day, but most of it has to do with work and wotnot.

Still, there have been many many many excellent authors who have had other full time jobs, so while I do acknowledge it is recommended to write everyday, as always, I don't think it can be a rule applied to all.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I try to write every day, but I don't always make it. I do think it's important.

The idea of writing only when inspired doesn't sit well with me. I like how Sammy Davis Jr. defined a professional: "A professional is someone who does a good job even when he doesn't feel like it." The world would be a much worse place if plumbers only did plumbing when they felt like it, and firefighters only rescued people from burning buildings when the inspiration struck.

We have to make ourselves do the work. Discipline is what gets the writing done.

12. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

I don't write every day. There are other priorities that sometimes interfere, such as Family events, work--like when I have to grade essays, tests, journals, etc. Real life is like that for me, somtimes.

I do try to do something writing related, even if it's only research, visiting a forum such as this, or replying to emails from readers or blog post comments.

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

For me, it depends on what you define as "writing". I probably spend at least an hour and a half "writing" every day, and tally up several hundred words a day, but most of that is forum posts and blog posts.

Actual "I need to spend more time on my writing" writing, like my resolve to write at least two hundred words of fiction every single day, doesn't really go according to plan.

14. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

For anyone who is interested in writing as a career at some point, writing every day is one method of reaching that goal. But it isn't the only one. You can set goals -- a story every week, or a long story every month, a chapter every week, X thousand words each week -- or just set a writing schedule and stick to it.

Some pro writers work every day. Others work on each project as a separate thing, and just don't let themselves go more than a few days between projects when the last one is finished.

The thing about writing schedules and writing goals is that they will get you closer to being published and to being able to make a decent amount of money from your writing. One pro writer wrote on her website that she has never met an amateur writer who decided to write at least 500 words every day, and who was not being published and paid regularly five years later.

So. Do you have to write every day, every week? Of course not. But if you want to be published, and paid for it, and to have those two events happen repeatedly, then you'll want to set up some goals and maybe a writing schedule.

And if you can't, or don't want to do that right now? That's okay. Honestly. There are a lot of people who get a ton of fun out of their writing even if they aren't making themselves stick to a schedule, and just because you aren't looking to pursue pro writing now doesn't mean you can't do that in a few years. Besides, a story written in bits over a couple of months can still be a good story, and even sell, which is nice.

15. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I write every single day, for maybe two hours at the maximum.

16. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I write every day. Sometimes only a couple paragraphs, sometimes revising or finishing stuff I left off earlier, sometimes writing several pages of story advancement. Progress is progress, no matter how much you do at once.

17. ThomasRay

ThomasRay New Member

I write every chance I get, some days it's everyday, some days it's not. Some days are harder than others.

I love the feeling of writing, when I have an idea and can play with it, and my pages seem full and rich. On the days when I have no inspiration, when I have to make myself write, when I have no plan about what to write, the blank page frightens me. I feel anxiety over the situation, and when I put pen to paper, what comes out is utter drivel I'm embarrassed to have written.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm not going to stop writing because of this, I just hope I'm not alone in feeling this way. Misery loves company I guess.

18. Taylee91

Misery loves company because it needs sympathy. Yes, I feel this same way, ThomasRay. Somedays I'm so full of confidence. Nothing will deter me from writing what I was meant to write. But then a bad day comes, and I feel like whatever I write is worthless. That nothing I write could be. And then - I'm up at the top level of confidence again. It's a roller-coaster. But somehow or other, I keep writing. Ironically.

19. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

I would like to write everyday, but what do I write when I am not working on a story? There is simply no passion and vigour in my writing when I just write for the sake of writing. That's the problem I have even though I feel writing everyday will improve my writing. Any suggestions?

20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm not like this at all. How could I not be working on a story? I have files of story ideas I haven't touched. If I finish a story (happens rarely - I'm great at starting things but lousy at finishing them), there's still tons of stuff for me to work on. I can just start the next story in my list.

21. Taylee91

Try reading one of your most favorite books again. I think that will get you in the mood to write with more vigor.

But yeah, if I just write for the sake of writing, I don't find any fun in it at all. It feels empty. Especially with that forbidding, blank page.

22. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I try to write everyday, but when school starts that's not possible. But I do try to read every chance I get.

23. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

Every day you don't write something detracts from what you have acquired the days you do.

I know this is true with my professional work as an illustrator. If I take the weekend off (something I rarely do), then my drawings suck on Mondays. If I draw every day without any days off, stuff just seems to flow out my hand. This pattern never fails.

24. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributing Member Contributor

I disagree with this, if I'm honest. Perhaps if you didn't write for long periods, then your skill level would slip, but not over a day or two. Sometimes it's even nice to take a break from writing, do something different and come back refreshed after a day or two without doing any.

Sometimes writing every day results in you feeling jaded - in that case, do take a few days off, read something new (or old and familiar), do something different (take a day out somewhere or pay a visit to friends when you'd normally be writing). If you're doing it professionally, you want to enjoy it as much as you want to earn money from it, and if you're doing it for enjoyment, then there's no point in pushing yourself when you feel like it's not going well.

I don't think writing every single day is as beneficial as others say it is. Writing regularly is important, as is making the constant attempts to better yourself. But surely enjoyment is as important as anything.

25. Perdondaris

Perdondaris Member

Wow. All of this time, and I hadn't even thought of using a plectrum to help with writing, even though it's practically the exact same thing as playing the guitar.