1. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

All big crime bosses have something they're known by... what about mine?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by SpiderCraft, May 7, 2014.

Excuse me, *they're* known for. That's what happens when you re-write the title 5 times.

I'm trying to create a sort of nickname for the antihero of something I'm working on. Originally, I had thought of 'the crowned prince of crime' since he shares the name of a king, but realized that sounded way too close to 'the clown prince of crime' AKA the Joker.

Any suggestions?

Some background on him if you want it:
    Born into a crime ring that focuses on prostitution, theft, gambling, hit jobs, and drugs.
    Participates in all crimes during his youth.
    Develops a dislike for certain crimes such as gambling, drugs, and assassinations. Eventually overthrows the boss he grew up under and becomes the leader of what he calls a 'moral' crime ring. Still criminal, but no longer deals with drugs, gambling, or 'unfair' theft. Most money still comes from prostitutes, but he sees it as a duty to protect the prostitutes under his care, because he feels that prostitution will happen no matter what, so it may as well happen in a clean place where they'll be taken care of and treated just. If the prostitute wants to leave, he will not stop them and in some cases assist.

He's a highly wanted criminal, but tends to be protected by those loyal to him, once again insisting that certain crimes will happen, and they may as well be regulated and carried out safely.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

Hero of the whores

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Robin Hooker

I fixed your thread title. ;)

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If you're going to make this guy a pimp, you might want to have him rescue girls that are being trafficked unwillingly, and make sure the working girls who do work for him are well paid and not exploited. Otherwise half the reading public (aka females) are not going to buy it that this guy is anything but a slimeball.

As for a nickname, is he a slimeball or does he have a Robinhood side?

5. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

And more than a few guys as well.

That'd be good to know, actually, 'cause his behavior/personality dictates what his nickname would be like.

minstrel and Simpson17866 like this.
  6. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

Overall, Lucius is a noble person. But he has a bit of a skewed worldview due to his upbringing. He sees nothing wrong with stealing what you need (key word is need) if you can't afford it, but frowns upon getting rich off of thievery. He pretty much stomped out drug trade and forced prostitution in his area. He even has some positively sweet moments. So he's a criminal, but overall a noble criminal. I don't know if he could be exactly called a robin hood, because he's not exactly a 'steal-from-the-rich-give-to-the-poor', but he doesn't tolerate aimless violence or crimes that cause long-term damage to people. As he puts it, he's the son of a whore and grew up on a diet of deceit (from the old mob boss) and thievery, so there's only so much he can be on the good side of the law.

7. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

Oh, and yeah he does do a lot of assisting or organizing raids on groups that are involved in forced prostitution. The prostitutes he rescues can work for him if they wish, but he'll also assist those who don't want to continue that line of work in finding something else. Plus, woe be unto those who try anything on his girls (and some guys) that they don't want to. He's got no mercy for molestation and rape. None. You will die.

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Nickname:

Silver-lined nightmare (really bad guy with a good side)
    You could call him "two coins" and explain it means two sided coin.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Why not call him Angel? It's sarcastic in the mouths of law enforcement and sardonic in the mouths of his fellow criminals.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  10. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

GingerCoffee, I really like the idea of "silver-lined nightmare", since he can be so vicious while still being a noble person. Plothog, I may use hero of the whores as something a friend calls him when he's trying to annoy him - it sounds like something one of the people he grew up in would say.

11. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

I like that idea but might add something, like maybe "Angel of Styx (the slums he grew up in), or Angel of Crime?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'd call him 'janus' since that's the name of the roman god with 'two sides' on the coins ginger mentions...

i think it's better to have this extremely unorthodox character's name be a bit of a mystery to those who aren't familiar with the roman myths, than to be so 'on the nose' with an overtly self-explanatory nickname... and the name 'janus' also carries a sense of nobility and attractiveness with it, which should enhance your character's 'good'-er side...

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  13. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

I'd have to think about that one - it's good, but I don't want it to be TOO obscure and confuse people. If I could find a way to introduce it with at least a hint that might work.

14. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Wont drugs and assassinations also be something that will happen no matter what? Your main character should stop lying to himself and just accept that he has a fancy for the female flesh.
    I like his view of what's moral, he has the same sense of morality as an overturned stone. It's befitting a crime boss.

I got a few nicknames;
    Lovefather
    Uncle Flesh
    Man-o-Lust
    The Beautifier
    First Sinner (luxuria or "lust" is the first deadly sin)
    Old Lusty
    Big Heart
    Broad Vein
    Sticky Legs
    Love-eye
    Babe-breeder
    Girl-handler
    Purelove
    Goodheart
    The Allurist or The Allurer
    Graceful Lucius
    Charming Double-Lancing Lucius

Haha, ok, I'm done!

15. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

Haha, not saying he never does (I mean, come on, he's 17 when he overthrows his old boss), but there's plenty of male prostitutes in this particular establishment that he has no interest in. In all honesty, it's all about the idea that regulating and decriminalizing prostitution will reduce a lot of the problems with it (forced prostitution, spread of disease, abusive pimps). His opinion is that if somebody want's to make money that way, then they should be able to do that in a protective and clean environment.