1. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

Writing For Charity

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Jul 8, 2010.

I just got an acceptance into a Zombie Xmas Antho for charity.

I'm also working on another antho charity project that involves horror.

I was just wondering what other writers thought about giving your writing to charity causes for free. I think it's a good way to get exposure and to help out with different causes.

Would you send something to a charity antho?

2. orange

orange New Member

Ah, that's a good question. I'm actually not sure where I lie on it. I think the same as you, that it might be a good reason for exposure. Also, if I got to the point where I made enough money off my writing that it wasn't a big deal to me to do so. But then the selfish part of me says that it's my work and I should retain the rights to it? Which you're effectively handing over when you give it to someone for free. But I think you're right - it's probably good exposure, and a good deed. So in the end I suppose I'll go with yes.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sounds a bit fishy to me... are these really legit charities, or just scams to get unwary new writers to give them their work for free?...

4. orange

orange New Member

mammamaia - this is where I'm at, too, but thought I might be the only one feeling it. I suppose my biggest issue is that normally when charities sell things (not always, but often), the creator is paid for their work, sometimes at a lower price than would typically be paid, and then the profit made off the anthology would go to charity. For a non-charity example, Chicken Soup books pay around $200 for each piece of work they print, and make much more than that off the sold copies. So writers are getting paid, and plenty of profits are still being made.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No, not the only one. Many of these charities are scams, so we don't make an exception to our rules against advertising. Rather than try to sort out which ones are legit and which are not, we don't permit any of them to be promoted here.

6. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

Hence why I didn't mention who or where!

The one that I got accepted into wants non-exclusive rights. Said I can still shop the piece around if I want. Not a big deal. The other I'll be getting some serious credit on.

My view on giving things to charities and being generous overall, is that I KNOW I gave it for the right reasons, and if someone is doing bad with the good that people gave them, then all ill falls on them.

I'm not really out anything, expect some time. I do it because I care and want to help. Nothing wrong with that.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Absolutely. The pen truly is mightier than the sword, or even the olive branch.

How can it be a waste to put your writing into what you believe?

8. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

If this is going towards a certain charity, i would be checking out the charities web page, or making phone calls to see if the other side knows of it. If they repeat what is being said, then all is great. if not... You know where you stand.

it doesn't matter how well known, or how small the thing is...always check the story out from both sides. Just dont go by word.

If, IF it was a scam....having your name connected to thus would, or could kill of any career you may want in writing.

I trust it will be fine. I just want you to know everything before committing