1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Both! I payed. I do what I want!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Theatre Etiquette

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jul 7, 2010.

The title says it all.

Do you take/make cell phone calls or texts in the theatre?

Feel free to vote anonymously so that you can vote honestly.

2. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    I take movies seriously. I don't even talk to the person next to me...

In or out of the theatre. If I'm watching at home I'll have complete attention.*

*unless the movie is particularly bad.lol.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't even carry a cell phone into the cinema. But I'm one of those people who only carries a cell phone when at work or travelling, and turn it off when I'm not willing to be interrupted.

Technology is my servant, not the other way around.

4. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Neither, because it drives me crazy when someone else does it. And this is coming from someone with terrible theatre etiquette who will spend the entire running time of bad movies cracking jokes.

5. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I did not even have a cell until recently, but when I did I silenced it when at the theater; I would assume its common courtesy to do so. I have been to some particularly bad audience theaters where they laser pointed the screen, crazy kids.

6. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    Whenever I enter a movie theatre and it's filled with school kids, I groan.

7. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

well I do not think these were school kids, more like the dropped out of school kids.

8. arron89

arron89 Banned

If you're talking about movie theatres, then never.
    If you're talking about the theatre, then NEVER NEVER NEVER OMG

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I text and talk to the people beside me. Not when the movie is playing, but when you're waiting for the movie.
    And you're listening to the awful waiting music and you still have like 30 minutes to wait. That's when I talk and text.
    But when the previews start, I zip my lips and turn off my cellphone.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I used to work at a call center for a college, where I would call people looking for information about school and connect them with an admissions counselor. Not even kidding, I transferred several people who said "well, I'm at the theater watching a movie right now, but connect me with a counselor, and then I'll schedule an appointment to talk with them later."

Seriously??? Why the hell are you answering your phone??

I hate that business. I also hate it when people applaud at the end of a movie, but that's a complaint for another thread. :p

11. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Well I don't actually have a cellphone. But I wouldn't have it on during the movie. Why would I pay good money to see a movie and talk/text during it? I hate even going up to the bathroom(which luckily for me is almost never)

Though luckily for me I usually go to a movie after the hype for its down or on days that are unlikely going to be crowded.

Nothing like sitting in a movie theater with 5 people only. :p

12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Babies, babies are the worse when trying to watch a cinema. It should be just as criminal as a cellphone.

Lol

Ya know how they have a message:

Please silence all cellphones

Well the message really should read:

Please silence all cellphones, shut your mouth and your baby.

lol

13. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I hate little kids in the theater. Especially when they look to be to young for the movie itself and babies. Really? Who brings a baby to a movie theater? Why not find a babysitter and THEN go?

Luckily for me most of my movie going experience has been nice. Some small kids but they kept quiet for the most part.

14. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I always have my phone, and I'll text people beforehand, when im waiting for the movie to start. But during the movie i always have it on vibrate and if it have to answer I'll go into the hallway, not that I want to, but I've had friends who will keep calling over and over again when i dont answer which pisses me off

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yeah they bring babies to the movie theater. And it be okay if the baby didn't cry. But sadly, babies cry. Babies will always cry.

Oh another thing is I hate the people who have their feet on the back of the chair your sitting in and they keep rocking the chair.

16. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I answered 'texts yes, calls no' because I have texted very descretly in the cinema before. However, as I recall, I've only done it because I needed to, and the film hadn't started yet.

Usually it was because my mum has texted/tried to call me, and I've replied 'In cinema, will call after' and then turned my phone off.

Sorry, but if the curtains are open, I'll do what I like; The phone goes off before the film starts, but between that time, if my mum wants to know where I am and that I'm safe, then yes, I will use my phone to tell her.

17. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I'll answer texts if they're really important. Otherwise I just ignore them until later on. I don't answer calls. If someone calls me, I hang up, and call them back outside of the theater.

18. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I'm guilty of the texting during movies thing... Mostly in bad movies however. If a film holds my attention I won't check my phone.

Calls though, absolutely not.

19. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

I voted "calls yes, but text no" because sometimes I have to talk to someone who is going to pick me up about the time the movie ends, etc. I try to do it before, but when it is impossible I answer, but talk in the lowest voice possible. People don't seem to mind.

20. Wreybies

Speaking of theatre cell phone etiquette...

The last movie I saw was the rather dull Sex and the City II and during that movie the young lady next to me had a cell phone for which the battery was making the low battery bee-dunk noise.

Every five minutes. Bee-dunk!

I had very ugly thoughts. Very.

1 person likes this.
  21. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I voted never for both. Although, I do leave my cell phone on while I'm in the theatre. Mostly because the only reason I should even be getting a call is because who ever is watching my son has an emergency. If something is wrong I don't care if I ruin everyone else's experience. But, my phone is ONLY for emergencies, so I don't just give the number out to people and no one calls me on it, unless they KNOW I'm away from home.

22. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

When i go to theatre the outside word no longer exists. I leave the phone in the car. I have no problem with anyone calling or texting before the movies starts (Though i get paranoid that I'm going to have to tell someone at some stage something...but almost everyone turns them off before the movie begins).

Talking during a show/movie is my breaking point. I saw a crap movie (The second prequel star wars flick) Girl spent 10 minutes giggling to her other girlfriend. I said Shh, I then said shut up, then i chucked in half a dozen mean words, then after 5 more minutes i dumped half a gallon of coke on the bitches lap/head. Got a tap on the wrist by teenage management, but a few people stood up for me and after they got confused i just walked on out :D

I actually cant think of anything else that pisses me off worse really.

23. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

That's funny Speedy!

IF I would happen to get a call while at the theatre, I would be running out into the hall to talk. I wouldn't just sit there and talk, because I would HATE for someone to do that.

Although, I am one of those people that puts me feet on the back of the seat in front of me, but only if they are empty!

24. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Well my partner is a mother, so i can very well understand why some phones must be on. (On vibrate).

What can be annoying is seeing bright light in the corner of your vision. I have seen a few people playing games (or checking facebook i bet).

25. Wreybies

Where I live, Facebook has been turned into a verb.

"Que to hace?" (What are you doing?)

"Facebooketiando." (Facebooking) pronounced fah-seh-book-eh-tee-ahn-doh.

In a hand-basket. You know where.

1 person likes this.