1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Real-World Super Hero

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jul 21, 2009.

What if you were a super hero in the real world.

Not the comic book world where the police and the judicial system don't mind that you completely bypass the legal process when it comes to catching the bad guys.

Not the comic book world where somehow Super Heroes are never held monetarily responsible for the Super Hero sized damage they cause in their attempt to catch the bad guys.

Not the comic book world where no one ever stops to think that maybe the bad guys would go and be bad somewhere else if not for the fact that there was a real live Super Hero living in the city.

A real Super Hero with genuine super powers living in the real, real world.

[​IMG]

What if being a Super Hero actually kinda' sucked?

Would you want to be one?

BTW, yes I am watching Unbreakable right now.

Secondary Question

Now, imagine that like nearly all Super Heroes, you've no choice in the matter. You have the powers you have and there is nothing you can do to make them go away. Would you feel a moral obligation, even though you lived in the real real world and there might be repercussions to using your powers, would you still feel and obligation to be a Super Hero and do what you can do?

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Maybe I would want to be a superhero if that were the case, but with or without superpowers, if it is within the realm of my capabilities to help someone and I don't, I feel bad about it. With that in mind, I think I would just try to keep my superhero-dome on the down low. Help people quietly, rather than doing it in a way that would catch the attention of the general populace of my city.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

These are the kinds of questions that made Spider Man unique when it came out. Being Spider Man ruined nearly every aspect of Peter Parker's life. He was viewed as a menace by the police, he could never be on time when it was important for his personal life, and of course he lost his uncle as an early defining moment.

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Despite all the downsides of being a superpowered being in an otherwise ordinary world, I can't imagine not doing something with it. Maybe help catch criminals for the adrenaline rush? I don't think I'd feel a moral obligation to help people, as horrible as that may sound. It's not really my problem, unless I happen to be near it, then I would just drown myself in guilt if I let it happen.

5. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

There would be opportunities galore in the military. Let's take the extreme route and say you had Superman's powers. As a medic you could airlift casualties out with no risk of losing aircraft. Heat vision could be used to disarm IEDs. Super strength and super speed could make you a logistical miracle because you could get supplies to the front quickly and efficiently. And the invulnerability might come in handy too... somehow.

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

If I had a useless superpower, then I wouldn't become a superhero. Depending on the abilit, I might do a few good deeds and help people when its possible.

If I had a great superpower, then I would definitely try and do my best to Save The Day. Though I would keep my identity super secret, there is no way I am getting stuck with the bill of all the damages :p