Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bay K.

Bay K. New Member

Quick 5 Point Review

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Bay K., Mar 31, 2011.

I believe EVERYONE who posts something here wants that piece critiqued --one way or the other.
    I have noticed that, for whatever reasons, MANY posts receive so few reviews.
    There are THOUSANDS of members in this Forum, yet posts fade into obscurity with less than double-digit reviews --morally unacceptable! (in my humble opinion)
    People post here, wanting ... needing impressions on, acknowledgment, ... contact for their passion and effort in producing the pieces they have.
    Let us, please, give it!

I also understand that due to the, sometimes, tediousness of the reviewing process, and time, interest and whatever other constraints, we may not be able to 'fully' critique pieces.
    However, at least, a reach-out, via a 5 point quick review, is more than do-able.

Therefore, along with, or in lieu of, regular spelling, grammar and thematic reviews, I propose a quick 5 point review option --with an optional brief explanation.

E.g:
    3 / 5 stars (or points) --I liked your (poem/ story), but it had too many SP&G errors that I'll look into later.
    Or, simply: 3 / 5 stars (period).

I know the Forum MODs may not deem this as proper critiquing, but, from what I've experienced and observed, even a 'look in' is better than nothing.

I just think it's depressing, so many posts going virtually untouched.
    At least, with the 5 point review, one is assured of some contact --good or bad-- which I strongly believe is better than none at all.
    (Hate me, if you will, but don't ignore me --that's hell!).

I hope this 5 point / star proposal will be seriously considered and upheld by the MODs.
    If it is, at least, from now on, each post SHOULD receive dozens (and more) 'feedback'.
    Do I need to beat the horse and state that it will be IMPERATIVE for members (all if possible) to implement this points-review process --for all our benefit?

Thank you for your time and effort in reading this.
    (I don't know if this has been proposed before. Perhaps, a poll can be taken on this).

-------------------------------------------------------
    Be good, wise and strong

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I dunno, man....If I posted something looking for a critique, I would want an actual critique, not an "eh, I'd give it this many stars." Knowing how high someone ranks my writing isn't going to help me improve it.

3. Bay K.

Bay K. New Member

I understand this.
    The point-review is not to replace an 'actual' critique, but to be utilized in lieu of nothing --no acknowledgment or feedback at all.

--------------------------------------------
    Be good, wise and strong

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't really think that kind of arbitrary rating system is any better than no review at all. Like, what are you gonna do with a number? How is it going to make you feel any better if 10 people rate your poem a 3? In fact, it would be even more frustrating because then you'd know that people had read it and weren't telling you what they thought or how you might improve, even though they obviously have an opinion.

I agree that review numbers are pretty abysmal, but I really don't see this is a solution to the problem.

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Exactly what I was trying to say. I don't think having someone pop in and say "hey, I'd give this four out of five stars!" would make me feel better about a lack of reviews.

6. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

Yeah Bay K. -- I think anyone who wants a review wants it to be substantial and insightful, not just a number. However, I take your point about some pieces receiving fewer reviews. I always feel bad when something I posted just gets a few thoughts and then passes into obscurity. (Granted, I do post a lot.) You've been kind enough to have a look at some of my stuff, and I noticed that you've got a few new things up in the poetry room. I'll have a look when I've got some time tonight and tell you my thoughts.

7. Ion

Ion New Member

Quality over quantity.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bay K.

Bay K. New Member

-- I get your point, Ion, but still ...

-- Wassup Sidewinder! Hey, man, you're a great blogger! --see you all over the place (a good thing ... a good thing :) ).
    There're thousands of us here, man ... thousands!
    Don't matter how many posts you put out, scanty review numbers just ain't cutting it.
    That's all I'm saying.

I'm gonna try and review as many posts --in my favorite forums-- as I can.
    (put my money where my mouth is)

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ratings are NOT what critiquing is about, and in fact we actively discourage their use. See Constructive Critiques.

Critiquing is about how to improve, regardless of where the current quality of the piece may be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.