1. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Writing In College

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Masked Mole, Apr 18, 2016.

Hey All,
    I'm an English major in college, and I'm taking all the opportunities I can to get involved in writing events. It's been hit and miss, as one would expect. The biggest hit was having the opportunity to read one of my short stories live in front of around fifty people, including some really cool faculty.
    What was your best college writing experience?

123456789 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

I was in a college writing group, reading a piece about a malevolent nature spirit that was making animals attack intruders to the forest. The others were so wrapped up in it that no one noticed when a bird flew in through the window. It somehow made it into the center of the writing circle before it took flight again and scared everyone senseless.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I'm not in college yet, and in Australia we go to uni, university, where Americans would got to college. We don't have colleges.
    But I'm sure there's some great experiences to be had in one.:)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    FaythFuI likes this.
  4. FaythFuI

FaythFuI Member

I believe one of my best experiences with my college writing would be performing pieces of slam poetry I had written. It was a wonderful experience to back my words with so much verbal emotion, and actually see the awed expressions on people's faces as I delivered it.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

My dear boy let me set you straight about the American educational system.
    In the United States universities are large institutions, colleges are sub organizations within a university.

Examples:
    Washington State University houses the following colleges: 1) Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences, 2) Arts and Sciences, 3) Business, 4) Communication, 5) Education, 6) Engineering and Architecture, 7) Honors, 8) Medicine, 9) Nursing, 10) Pharmacy, 11) Veterinary Medicine.

The University of Idaho houses the following colleges: 1) Agricultural and Life Sciences, 2) Art and Architecture, 3) Business and Economics, 4) Education, 5) Engineering, 6) Graduate Studies, 7) Law, 8) Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences, 9) Natural Resources, 10) Science.

As for my best experience, I particularly liked getting published for the first time.

ETA: I have degrees from both Universities, but from a different college within each university.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Oscar Leigh

So they're just faculties?? :confused:

7. KhalieLa

At the expense of derailing this thread, what they heck are you trying to ask?

8. Oscar Leigh

Well, what you described was essentially just different departments. Why do people say "go to college" or "in college" then? I'm not arguing with you just wondering. Not even a drop of hostility or tension here. :friend:

9. KhalieLa

Bureaucracy . . .
    The University of Idaho College Agricultural and Life Sciences houses the following academic departments:
    1) Agricultural & Extension Education, 2) Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology, 3) Agricultural Systems Management
    Animal and Veterinary Science, 4) Margaret Ritchie School of Family & Consumer Sciences, 5) Plant, Soil & Entomological Sciences, 6) UI-WSU School of Food Science, 7) Water Resources.

The college will be where the majority of the course work for your major is located, generally within a specific department. However, you are free to take other classes from across all the colleges on the university campus and many people do. I was a geek so I took a music performance class every semester, even though that was outside my major and well outside my college.

"Going to college" is merely one of the quirks of American English. Example: In England I could readily purchase a pack of fags. In the United States we purchase a pack of cigarettes. If I were to walk up to a store clerk in the United States and ask to buy a pack of fags, I'd be arrested for sex trafficking!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Lol, pack of fags. :superlaugh:Yeah, I know that one.
    And I find that very interesting. So people going to college are going to university? That's weird. Makes you think.:superthink: