1. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Writing in first person is hard!

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Alice in Wonderland, Apr 1, 2007.

I'm so used to writing in third person that now when I write in first person I find it really hard to make it interesting! I'm not sure whether I'm adopting the right technique. >.< I'm glad it's become a bit of a challenge though. Hopfully I won't just give up on it. xD

Discuss:
    What POV do you prefer to write in?
    What problems have you come across when writing in different POVs?
    Have you ever written a story that makes use of more than one POV?

(I can't think of a better way to describe third/second/first person than POV. >.< )

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

It depends on the story to be told whether first person POV or third (limited or omnicient) is best.

First person has its limitations and advantages. Sometimes it takes real planning ahead to be sure the story can be adequately told from 1st person POV.

I'm comfortable with each (3rd limited and 1st), although I prefer 1st when given the option. I'm at least competent in both as I've had one story published in 3rd person limited (and it got picked up for a best of anthology), and I have another story coming out a month or so written in 1st person.

The point being, having the ability to switch POVs helps by not limiting the an author's ability to tell the story from the best perspective.

Terry

3. Alice in Wonderland

I agree, being able to write in a variety of POVs would be an advantage to any writer. That's why I'm trying it out. ^^

You have stories published? Cool! ^^ I'd like to take a look at them some time.

4. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

I find it easier to write 3rd person. I'm a visual voyeur, I guess. :) I always have been but I am forcing myself to write a short story in 1st person.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Alice in Wonderland,

Here is the link to "Tethered in Purgatory". It was published by The Sword Review, was voted third place in the Preditors & Editors online poll for best SF/Fantasy short story of 2006, and will be part of the Anthology, Distant Passages 2 (probably available in the next few weeks). It's written in third person.

My forthcoming short story, "Drug Dogs", is written in first person POV, and is being published (Downloadable PDF and Print Edition) by Futures Mystery Anthology Magazine.

Terry

6. je33ie

je33ie New Member

I've written all my short stories in first person, and loved it, but now I'm trying to write a novel in first person and am really struggling!

It's hard to keep so personal with just one person over such a long period of time. And I'm having trouble explaining wider details, as first person can be really limiting. I've considered changing it to third person if it doesn't get any easier.

I love using first person for short stories as the personal style really allows me to quickly get into the character's mind.

7. Renos

Renos New Member

In my demonic realm, hiding from my hellish realit
    It depends on the story i'm working on. Generally i find it better and easier to write in first person because i can put more of me into it, but third is fun to write in.

8. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    I cannot, cannot, cannot write in anything but the first person. If you're trying to get a connection between the character and reader there is no better way to do it.

9. Alice in Wonderland

I knew I chose the right POv. ^^ I'm definatly trying to get the reader to connect with the character that uses first person. By the end of the story I want the reader to side with the guy who is actually the bad one. xD I shouldn't have said that... >.>

10. je33ie

je33ie New Member

That shouldn't be too hard to do, Alice. You just need to make the main character naiive, or some other trait that makes her less likable towards the end of the book.

Good luck! Sounds like fun...

11. Alice in Wonderland

Don't worry. The good character isn't actually text book good himself. xD

It is fun!! =D

If you want to check it out then the link is in my signature. ;)

12. Sayso

Sayso New Member

The first thing I wrote was from the first person's point of view. Then I read somewhere that people prefer it to be from the third, so I went through the whole thing and changed it over, adding and taking out bits to show each persons perspective. I have no problem with either way.

13. Neo

Neo Member

Neo knew immediately what he was going to say. He was going to respond by saying that writing in first-person is much better, and easier, than writing in third-person, which leaved the writer with a huge responsibility to inform the reader of the thoughts of the other characters.
    Neo continued to watch the forum and he hoped his would find some help in his own work.

14. Handguns For Hearts

Handguns For Hearts New Member

Writing in first person is easy for me. In fact, extremely easy. The only downside is that I always give the character a peice of myself. It's the same character, just a new identity. I think alot of writers show up in their own words whether they realize it or not.

15. Corleone

Corleone New Member

It's difficult to write in first person when you have two main characters, but I find it easier to get thoughts of characters across in first person.
    Something I'm writing now has two main characters (well, one true main character but one just as important) and I did toy with the first person idea but it was hard because the main character doesn't know exactly whats happening to him, where the other does. I've never used multiple naratives before.
    First person is good for short stories though, most of my short stories are wrote in first person. Or a story that is based heavily on one character.

Oh and Handguns For Hearts, Green Day are my favourite band, nice ava.

16. NHRonin

NHRonin New Member

I find it much harder to write in the third person after only doing first for years. It's even harder when you're working on two seperate novels and they one if first and the other is third.

17. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Pretty much everything I write has a touch of humor, so my views are specialized. If your humor is character-driven, with wordplay and funny satiric observations (Or, essentially, British-style humour), third person will work best. But if you're sarcastic, scathing, (American-type humor), first-person gives you a sharper voice.
    And to answer your third question: I prefer to keep my points of view varied and fast-changing, depending on how long the work is. If it's a short story, I try to keep it to one POV (Cuz, you know, it's short.). But if it's longer, I switch it up, because if I'm writing a novel, it's bound to have a very grand scale. Try fitting on 11 different points of view for a brief time. (Yes, I am writing a novel with 11 points of view. Whee!)

18. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

I'm partial to 1st limited and 3rd unlimited [I know there's fancy terms to them, but I don't both myself w/ those if i can just call them "limited" and "unlimited" and people still know what I'm talking about.]

I also like to experiment w/ the wonderful second person. This is in what's know as "you" format:

You climb up the stairs in the dead of the night, and you're quiet as you can possibly muster your footsteps to be. Your left foot rises, your right foot follows.

"Who's there?" Comes an unexpected voice.

You don't move.

-Chapter 8 of Maxo-Manta​

by Dennis Matana​

19. *water*sprite*

*water*sprite* New Member

I always thought that writing in 1st person was easy. I love it because most of what I write has some of my personal experiences in it.
    I love reading in 3rd person omnicient though. The text is often brilliantly expressive. Example of a great 3rd person omn; Inkheart.

20. Snap

Snap New Member

I my last book, which I am about to begin to re-write, I chose third. About halfway through, I realized how much I stink at writing in third. Kind of a horrible foresight, I know. While I don't mind reading when the POV changes, I don't like to write that way. As mentioned earlier, I think I can bring a lot more of myself into my stories if I use first, and it becomes more intimate for the reader, and they see different characters as the main character sees them. I guess I'm just all around better at first. :)