1. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

Writing in your native language

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Flozzie, Jul 21, 2008.

This might seem a bit stupid, but I still thought I'd ask.

English is not my native language. For the past few years though I have been writing only in English, to the point where writing in Swedish (my first language) feels weird. I have tried, but I just can't. Everything comes out sounding weird.

Now I'm wondering if there is someone out there who has experienced the same thing? If so, what did you do to be able to write in your own language again?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

You are by no means alone! I regard both English and Spanish as native tongues for me. I learned them at the same time and with equal emphasis (English out in the world, Spanish at home) but I have always written in English.

Both languages have their own means of expression and ways of beauty. Neither language is greater or lesser than the other. But I must admit that English is more natural for me when I want to be creative. Spanish has a structure and a relationship to its corresponding cultural concepts that just doesn’t lend itself to my style of writing. I have read some jaw-droppingly beautiful prose in Spanish. The fact that Spanish has grammatical gender allows a kind of word play that English just doesn’t manage well. There is also a kind of humor intrinsic to the Spanish language and the cultural propensity of Spanish peoples to use word play on a regular basis that makes the language a true joy to use. But still, I write in English.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

We are studying this in our Peotry from different cultures in English, about how people feel like they have "lost their toungue" sort of. I do not quite get it myself, not being fluent enugh or having to speak another language for any reason, but I bet it is weird.

Random question for people who speak two different languages frequently, do you dream in your mother tongue, or the one you speak daily??

As for wanting to continue writing in Swedish, I would just suggest continuing to write in it until it starts to feel natural again.

4. skip slocum

skip slocum Member

Do your best to hold on to your mother language it is your link to your roots.
    Maybe you could write a dairy in Swedish noting the differences.

When I was stationed in Germany we has a secretary that could read and write in seven languages and while reading aloud she could switch to what ever language someone called out.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I dream in English and Spanish with equal regularity. I also speak Russian (I was a Russian linguist in the USAF,) and sometimes dream in that langauge as well.

6. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

That is coolio. I was just watching it on Scrubs the other week and Carla got worried when she dreampt in English instead of Porterican.

7. Klee

Klee Contributing Member

I mostly dream in Spanish because it's the language I mostly speak during the day. I remember one time I was working at a booth at ComicCon and my boss asked my to count some money and I started counting in Spanish. He looked at me for a moment and then said, "Yeah, I guess it's easier for you to count in your language."

8. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

I almost only dream in Swedish. I think a few times I have dreamt in English as well, but those times are counted on one hand.

And I do keep a diary, in Swedish. I have no problem to find the words when writing in that, thank God, but when it comes to writing short stories or novels or whatever it just doesn't work.