1. There_She_Goes

There_She_Goes Member

Writing manually. Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by There_She_Goes, Apr 16, 2014.

Hi there!
    Does anyone here like to write manually? I tried that yesterday as I didn't have a computer at my disposal and found it very pleasant.

I also found out that writing manually is much easier for the muscles as well. I often notice that typing can result to muscle strain.

And as a matter of fact, most authors throughout history have written manually (before machines were invented).

2. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

I write with pen and paper when writing non-fiction. I've found that it is helpful to be able to see previous ideas and to insert notes, clarifications, and references around the text and to type it out later when its ready to look pretty.

With fiction, there is usually a lot less "research" involved, so a process that facilitates amendments based on that within the writing process aren't as necessary.

3. TheDapperJack

TheDapperJack Member

My handwriting is so awful I need a WWII codebreaker just to use my address book.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If it weren't for word processors I'd have never told the stories in my head. It was bad enough writing term papers with an 8 character backspace erase feature. I'm one of those people who does fine if I have time to edit and edit again.

TheDapperJack likes this.
  5. TheDapperJack

TheDapperJack Member

^ Oh yeah, that's the other benefit of word processors: they save the obsessive compulsive revisionists among us a fortune in erasers annually.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  6. sarkans

sarkans New Member

I prefer to write on paper and then edit on computer. Technically it's easier to type (faster, easier to edit, no need to re-type everything for editing etc.) but writing journals really opened my eyes in this matter. For a few years I kept journaling both in MS Word and on paper, and later rereading everything - quality of writing, diversity of subjects etc. was significantly better when I had written on paper. Maybe it's not like that for everyone but for me typing is just too fast and easy; it allows me to put down all the bad ideas, detour, it's difficult to keep track of what's going on. When typing, every piece of crap is written down. When writing only the better of ideas are realized.

7. Lucy1712

Lucy1712 New Member

I hand write everything first, then type up after I've finished a chapter or so. I find my creativity flows more readily when scratching out sentences and re-wording it, whilst still able to look at what I've just rejected. As soon as I backspace something I've typed, I completely forget what it was I had written.

Add to that, the fact that when I started writing in my high school library, all I had to hand was paper and a pen. It just felt natural to keep on going in the same style. I love looking at all those old pages with all the differing handwriting styles from over the years and the notes in the borders and the precise date that a certain page or scene was written. Maybe that's just the romantic in me, but that's the artistry of writing, in my opinion.

minstrel likes this.
  8. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I scratch ideas out on paper only when I don't have access to a pc.

I started out writing by hand in work, as a convenience... well, that and the fact I didn't have access to a computer. I ended up buying an electronic noteook. I write in rather haphazard, chaotic fashion so I found my initial notes hard to keep track of. I edit and continue to chip away. I'm still not at a point where I feel truly confident I'm done with a scene or chapter, as I'm still in the process of heavily experimenting with everything I'm learning.

If I have a pen or pencil in my hand, you can confidently place a bet that I intend to draw. Never thought about it much until now but I wonder if it's my way of keeping a distance between my two hobbies.

I only type marginally faster than I can write, never having properly learned how. My lazy typing speed gives me adequate time to think of what I'm trying to say, to select the right word and using Scrivenor in split screen mode lets me compare my edits so it's easier to keep a track on whether I feel they are working for or against me.

I'll regress to pen and paper should the power suffer a blackout, or if I have an idea when I'm out and about, (biro on napkin/beermat, whatever... I really should keep a small notebook in my bag) but, aside from these instances, I'd much rather type. I have enough problems stopping my narration from being pass remarkable and seeing the words in my own handwriting makes me relax too much.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i enjoy writing on pastel lined ampads, with my favorite fat, medium point, blue ink ballpoints... and frequently do...

10. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Contributing Member

I usually write on my laptop. I use a notebook just to take notes and write down ideas when I don't have the computer handy.
    I hate editing, writing on paper would probably help, forcing me to read my first draft at least once while copying it on the computer.

11. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I use note pads when I'm away from my computer. There is something nice about just writing words out. Half my writing life - 14 - 24 was spent using paper until I got a computer. It was nice but messy - notes in the margin, using a red pen when I couldn't find a blue one, crossing out huge paragraphs with messages like - this stinks! ditch it. Plus, I used to get dents in my fingers.

12. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I write manually in the planning stages of my book. So, for example, I would use a pen and paper for character sketches, character descriptions, maps, plotlines, subplots, important elements in the story, relationships between one another, etc. Once it's time to start writing the manuscript, though, I'm all for a computer, and a desktop is the only way; I can't stand laptops. :rolleyes:

13. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

Same here

I enjoy writing with pen and paper but I have to slow down or I won't be able to read 1/2 of my writing.

14. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I handwrite everything first. It allows for the free flow of words (for me) and keeps me from hitting the "backspace" key constantly to fix things. I just let them lie and keep going when I'm writing by hand. Once the first draft is done, it's off to the computer.

15. blinkstun

blinkstun Member

I think computers and tablets have really replaced much of pen and paper these days. I wouldn't be surprised if the grandchildren later laugh at our ways of "drawing ink on papers", and there'd probably be a pen-and-paper Renaissance like some form of obscure ancient art. Who knows!

Lucy1712 likes this.
  16. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I do most of my planning on paper, but when it comes to actually writing I find it frustrating. I'll be left with ink smudges on the side of my hand and the process just feels so much slower.

17. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

It's depends.

Sometimes, when I can't write, I start playing The Sims and get paper and pen and start to write.

And I have a small moleskine in my bag, and while I wait for the bus I write or make some sketches. (I prefer to write with my tablet in this case, but my city is the 36th in the 50 most dangerous of the world, so my tablet stay at home)

18. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I keep notebooks for research notes, outlining, timelines and other planning tools. In my current project, I also occasionally made journal-like notes on my process, key decisions and edit plan. But the only actual writing I ever do in longhand is if I have an idea while out of range of my desktop or laptop.