1. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Writing organizational software.

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Fitzroy Zeph, Nov 14, 2013.

Does anyone use Scrivener or other software for writing and if so do you find it useful? Are there better/worse ways? I like the idea of being able to break down a MS into bits.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Scrivener is very useful for exactly that purpose. It's a great program, and much more light-weight and responsive than programs like MSWord or LibreOffice. Worth checking out.

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I tried the trial for Scrivener.
    It was so alien I immediately retreated back to Open Office.
    I think it just has too much for me.
    All I want and need is a program that looks like a piece of paper that allows me to see two pages at once. OO does just that.
    I don't need any more fancy bells or whistles than that.

4. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I like scrivener, but it needs more. I'm using it now for the index card feature and skeletal work, but that's about all. Otherwise, I use Final Draft.

You might also look into yWriter if you don't want to spend the $40. If you use a Mac, scrivener is probably better, but for the PC, yWriter may be better.

As for organizational software, I use Freeplane for mind mapping, 4D outline for sketching plot points, scrivener for skeletal work and Final Draft for finalizing.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I love Scrivener. Best writing software I've used. I used to be one of those Word purists, but after doing the Scrivener tutorial, I was hooked. Forty bucks isn't a lot of money for a tool that's flexible, full-featured, and never frustrates me.

You just LOVE software, don't you? Wow!

7. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Each serves a purpose. Brainstorming an idea usually isn't linear, so mind mapping works out for that. 4D Outline and Scrivener work more hand in hand. I do index cards on Scrivener and place them at certain points in the script's timeline with 4D outline. Final Draft is where I actually write because FD has really nice reporting. All the others are simply design tools.

Oh, and I still have Open Office and steam with about 30 games or so.