1. jeepis12

jeepis12 New Member

dealing with a death in family

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by jeepis12, Nov 25, 2008.

One of my characters in my story, Chris, his sister just died in a car accident. Chris is a professional baseball player. How can I write and develop his character with both baseball and dealing with the death of his sister?

Thanks in advance

2. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

There are so many directions you could take this...

Such as showing his performance deteriorating in his games. Maybe he's a recovering alcoholic and it's the stressor that sends him back to drinking, consequently he loses his place on the team. Maybe he finds out one of his teammates was having an affair with his sister and the truth comes out. Maybe the teammate even caused the accident while drinking and driving.

Sit down and generate a few dozen ideas, and then decide where you want to go with it based on what you already know about your characters.

Ultimately, it's up to you to choose which direction you take it, because it's your story. garmar69

3. jeepis12

jeepis12 New Member

That's not a bad idea. He owns a bar inside the stadium where his teams play. I'll use that somehow...

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Have you ever experienced the death of a loved one? It is very personal and quite difficult to capture in words. A knot develops in your upper chest that makes it hard to breathe or swallow. The physical pain is unbelievable. Sleep comes only when you reach exhaustion and when you awaken, the knot returns. Whenever something happens that would be common with the person who died, you sit up expectantly, waiting to see him or her walk into the room. Of course, nothing happens...but you never give up hope. Even a year or two later, you can have a sudden welling of emotions, to the point that you pull off the road because you can't drive. This is just a little look into losing someone you love. It's been eight years and I still choke up on his birthday or at Christmas.

As far as baseball, I always found it helpful to dive into activities that demanded my full concentration (professional bass fishing) as a way to briefly escape the grief. In my case, the intensity created by the reprieve from grieving actually sharpened my performance.

1 person likes this.
  5. jeepis12

jeepis12 New Member

I lost my cousin during the fall of 2007 in a car accident. I thought it would be a nice way to honor her by including her in my writings, because that's what I enjoy to do. The character, Chris, is actually my cousin, so basically, he lost his sister, as I stated earlier.

Yeah, I'll include some of the things that you said in the story. I went through the exactly the same thing you did. Thanks buddy. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just so you know, you're not alone in this thing. Just be with your family is all I can say.