1. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

Writing problem!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Peppermint, Dec 16, 2011.

I have really great ideas, but it's like there's a barrier there, stopping me from writing anything. I don't feel capable of writing something on my own and that I always need someone to help. Sometimes I can't even TRY.

A few months back, I knew a girl who I role played with. She always wrote the storylines and never once let me add anything. Whenever I tried to add something she would say something like "NO WAY! This is what happens instead..." She made me feel useless. I never talk to her anymore, but that's the only thing I can think of that might be the cause of this problem.

It's so, so frustrating. I have such great ideas that I can't wait to write about, but I just can't. It even took me half an hour to write this because I felt it wasn't good enough/explained enough. How sad is that? :(

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Thanks in advance.

(EDIT: I thought this was worth adding! I LOVE reviewing stuff. I'm always writing really good reviews, almost every day. It's strange how I can write those, but not anything else!)

2. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe Senior Member

Well... It sounds like you need to vent.

Why not start a blog? It's a great testing ground for jotting your thoughts/ideas. No one can tell you "NO WAY!" since its your words. It's possible that you're also having problems expressing yourself.

Honestly, take every idea you've ever had and write them down. Keep writing. Go back to the ideas you really like and expand upon them. Leave the ones you've forgotten about as a pleasant memory of what once was. The only person that should decide whether or not you can write is you. Never forget that.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

try writing a diary about your feeling or whatever you feel like, preferably by hand, it takes away a lot of the feeling that it need to be perfect because no one else than you is going to read it anyway. If you feel like writing down little fragments of story ideas or dialogue or anything you can do that too. that's my advice. there is something to handwriting that always seems to unblock me and I've heard several people saying that it stimulates the creativity.

4. Tenelen

Tenelen Member

This sounds like a great idea. I started up a blog a while back where I just write whatever I feel like writing and it's definitely help me learn how to put my thoughts into words.

Other than that, you need to remember that you are your own person, and you can make your own decisions.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

A journal/blog is a great way to get your ideas on the page. It's important to remember that not all ideas can be turned into stories or novels. Reading good writing is equally important. Look at how great writers do it and learn from them. With enough practice, you'll gain the confidence to start writing (and finish) something on your own.

6. akexodia

akexodia Member

yep! Blog IS the best way. That way people will come to know what you want to express and you get to express whatever you feel!
    Besides, if you like reviewing stuff, there are like a zillion magazines and journls out there that deal exclusively in reviewing stuff.
    Good luck mate!