1. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

Reviewing

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Corbyn, Nov 7, 2010.

I have been reviewing a lot lately, mostly for an elderly lady in the next town. Apparently they have a writing club that meets once a month. Anyway, what I'm finding with her writing is that due to the fact she was an editor for a news paper, her grammar is outstanding. She lacks focus in the creative area however. It has also been hard to get her to share her revisions of her novel. She's concerned that she may not have hit the nail on the head so to speak.

I think her largest problem is hurdling the fact that she was paid to write and edit for news papers and now she feels a fish out of water.

My point in writing this was: If you want reviews you have to share. That means revisions and all. I've reviewed several good posts here and haven't seen any revisions on any of them.. It makes me a little sad.

I'm not great for grammar reviewing but I try to review for content. I'd love to see revisions, but nobody is posting any :(

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That doesn't necessarily mean the revisions aren't taking place. The author may be keeping the revised version of his or her own computer, maybe to be posted again later, maybe not. I have done this.

Another possibility is that instead of revising the current piece of writing, the writer is taking the lessons learned to a new piece of writing instead.

3. Corbyn

Very true. The comments were made to suggest that as a reviewer it's nice to see someone continue with the work they have put into a story. And in the hopes that encouragement might (that is a long shot I know) but might encourage revisions to be posted.

I had to almost beg to see the revisions on the novel I mentioned above. The author's thinking behind not immediately sharing them...... She didn't want me to get tired reading the story. I explained that Reviewing often helps me find mistakes and learn in my own writing. I also sent her off with a full copy of a short story I had been writing on in the hopes it would help her in her own endeavor and sort of break down the shell the lady had built up about her writing.... I guess we'll see what happens!

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

The problem comes especially with novel excerpts I will revise them but I won't post them - I would have no objection sharing them with you but don't want to post final drafts of them.

For me with short stories they are generally the exploration of an idea for the novels. My novels come first when I am writing but I do sometimes revise my short stories.

5. Corbyn

I can totally understand not wanting to post final drafts of things anyone has written. I've just noticed once people post initially here often they don't post a revision. Or as the case with the lady I mentioned. After feedback they get nervous. Sometimes it's just nice to know there is no reason to be. Especially with revisions.

Personally as far as my own posts here go.. I've only posted one piece that I've revised and it's only an excerpt from a short story, so for that I don't worry so much about posting the revision. I know the piece and the portion of it posted here is still likely to go under drastic changes.