1. Liza

Liza New Member

Writing Quirks

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Liza, Jun 2, 2011.

Everyone has their own writing style, as do I. Me, I find that I use commas everywhere, and that I use first person POV (while doing so, the character thinks a lot). And I find that I write longer sentences rather than short ones. But my paragraphs are usually 3 to 6 lines long.

Register to remove this ad

What do you think brings out your writing style, and might some habits be bad for your writing?
    I know that my overuse of commas isn't all too good, and the thinking part comes from the fact that I think, well, a lot. I think that's a bad thing, though.

What is your writing style, though?
  2. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

Listing... I hate doing it, but the first draft is almost entirely listing. Luckily, most of writing is actually rewriting! :D
  3. Jonp

Jonp New Member

I, also, use commas a lot. Like, much more than I would need to. Sometimes, with commas, I'm not even aware I'm putting them in, I just seem to write long sentences broken up with lots of commas, like I'm trying to trigger an asthma attack in anyone reading it out loud, by, making, them, take, breaths, all, the, time.

/faints
  4. Liza

Liza New Member

Yeah, and I try to hold myself back when I notice more than three commas in a sentence, because isn't that a run-on sentence? Or am I mistaken? I always put commas in unneeded places, like after and, which is absurd, right? I don't even know why I do that, and they have no point.
  5. jo3bo

jo3bo New Member

Personally, I quite enjoy reading slower pieces with lots of commas, and I have a tendency to use them frequently as well. Ultimately it depends on the feel you want a piece of writing to have. I tend to find that, when I use more commas than usual, I do it in order to achieve a measured tone, or other stylistic effect. So long as you don't comma splice, which is the most common form of run on sentence, you should be alright :)
  6. dizzyspell

dizzyspell New Member

Listing here, too. Also (must be the opposite of you comma guys) I write really short and disjointed sentences. Not cool.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Member Supporter Contributor

I like long sentences interspersed with short ones. And I don't like commas. I read my stuff aloud and I'm usually pretty fast at it, and I find myself leaving commas in only where they're necessary and not where they aren't! (I bet most of you would have put a comma after "necessary" in the last sentence, but I wouldn't.) Put in commas where they're needed, but please leave them out where they're not!
  8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

For me, it's more of an overall "feeling" than technical bits (however, I shall admit I have a bit of a love-affair with semi-colons). I can sort of pick out the general "mood" in pieces; for example I just found a folder on my laptop with short stories I wrote for highschool (which I still think are actually pretty good)- they have an odd feel to them; sort of otherworldly, ghostly, melodious? It's hard to pinpoint but there's something about them I instantly recognise as purely mine; and realise it also applies to the novel I'm working on at the moment...
  9. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel New Member

I'm not just trigger happy with the comas, I'm trigger happy with the brackets, semi-colons and dashes. They are literally everywhere. The majority of my editing is just cutting out the unneccessary punctuation. Everytime I paused writing, I put another one in, even if it's unneccesary just because it reflects the way I say things.

Most important thing about a quirky style is ensuring it's consistent. Darren Shan did this thing with dashes to denote a passage of time (in Lord Loss). I don't remember anything about that story, but I do remember the quirky style.
  10. Tesoro

Tesoro Senior Member Contributor

I 'tell' a lot! a whole lot. actually for me the first draft is almost entirely "told", but I have understood now that it is my way of putting the story on paper and then I hacve to do some severe rewriting to make it look good. I also write quite a lot of characters thoughts, which I don't know if it's good or bad... Lots of character feelings, in fact a friend who read a piece said he really "felt" the character more than seeing them in action, which to me sounds not too bad... but I guess everything has to be the right amount. on the positive side I write first (and the following) drafts almost free from grammatical errors and typos. Its quite structured even at the very first draft and I usually don't have to take away so much in the following ┬┤drafts, maybe just rephrase it and it will be ok.
  11. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle New Member

I can't just write everything down and then go back for the re-write. I am constantly re-writing. I can't help myself. I will remember something and think, "Oh! I know how I can make that better!"
    Then I go back, no matter where I was at before, and start fixing things. The problem is, I get caught up in reading my own work! I will fix something at the beginning of Chapter Two and before I know it, I am in the middle of Chapter Four wondering how in the world I got there in the first place!
    I probably could have finished my novel already if I'd quit doing that. I just can't seem to help myself.
  12. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Senior Member Contributor

I use dashes instead of semicolons, and I don't know why. :p
  13. Liza

Liza New Member

Ah, another one of my problems! I revise too much as well, while I should be continuing the story. A real problem, that is, for me.
  14. barnz

barnz New Member

I find dashes quite - dashing.
  15. Ashleigh

Ashleigh New Member Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    So do I - it's become a terrible habit.
  16. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I love using expletives - and I should add - I tend to use and abuse dashes. I also use understatement and sentences which are fairly long but grammatically correct, as well as being alliterated to an astonishing degree, quite often. I am a huge fan of self-demonstrating posts.
  17. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Not exactly a bad thing, but I use four-dot ellipses at the end of sentences (three for the ellipses, one for the period).

I write very long, jointed sentences much of the time. Makes for difficulty when I'm doing school essays graded according to sentence-count XD. I'm trying to stop taking the easy way out with dropped-in appearance-describers ("She batted her deep blue eyes, etc."), but it's proving at least a bit difficult. I guess old habits never die :redface:.

On an off-topic note, I just realized that you can stretch the quick reply box. Sweet!
  18. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 New Member

I find my writing is really really incorrect by writing standards.

I'm an unintentional fan of commas, meaning I usually end up using them without thinking, and put them in places they shouldn't be.
    I also find that I'm not a big fan of the " ,and" conjuction. For some odd reason that just doesnt show up in my writing at all. Neither does "and then".
    "And then" drives me insane oddly enough. When my composition teacher was correcting my papers and kept putting in "and then" I seriously was ready to pull my hair out oddly enough.
    I do tend to use a lot of big vocabulary in my sentences when I should probably keep them short and simple.

Hmmm what else...
    Duh XD
    "..." I seem to use them mostly for when characters hesitate in their speech. Or when I want to force readers to take a long pause. I actually have no idea if that's how they're supposed to be used but I do it.

I'm big on fragments though. It's my trademark with writing. Anytime my friends or teacher sees a paper with a lot of fragment sentences they know it's mine. But my fragment sentences aren't things like "He went." They're more like "She was a dangerous force. Literally." That kind of thing.
    To me it seems to add more depth to things sometimes. That and the way I sometimes use it drives in an important point. But all my teachers used to drill me about how incorrect it was. My composition teacher made me write five essays just to try and drill it out of me. It didn't work. Seriously.

I know there's more about my writing, I just can't think of it right now. I know I mostly keep it very literate in form of sentences. Like there is no poor english in any of my writing at all. My friends are always going on because I don't use slang in my writing, and all my charaters' dialect is like super proper. Which is a problem when you're trying to make them all different.

But that's all I can think of for now. It's a lot I know, but that's how my writing is. I do a lot of it. Which is probably why I'm currently going through my novel and taking out a lot of stuff.

So much fun. XD
  19. Declan

Declan New Member

I write so much dialogue that my stories are nearly plays.
    I'm very verby, too. I think a lot of adjectives is lazy writing, so instead of saying a character was sad, or lonely, I would describe a scene where they are doing something sad or lonely, without saying they are so. I believe this is called 'unpacking' the character- letting the reader discover and see for themselves what that character is feeling rather than just telling them so.

Also... I think the limits to 'incorrect' writing can be greatly expanded in story writing. I despise it when people tell me that I am using a fragment or a comma splice, when it is quite clearly on purpose.
  20. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

I have shorter paragraphs but longer sentences :p

The thing about me is that my stories are very short, and sometimes I-okay, I admit it, I tell instead of show.
  21. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

hey--said the grunt.
  22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Senior Member Contributor

I tend to write endings and beginnings before I write the middle.
  23. Sundae

Sundae New Member

I tease my characters so much. My writing is my personality completely and I usually have my main male protagonist and main female protagonist be love interests and use them to tease each other constantly.

But at least it's good. Every single character I've written, people have described them as having so much personality and the friendships between the characters as being something unique and truly special. I find that odd as I don't try to do that but it comes off that way because there are some core beliefs that I've notice carry on in every single writing piece and one of them is a strong friendships/relationships between my characters.

One habit is using fast paced words like suddenly and quickly a lot. It's usually fine in action scenes but I notice that I carry them onto the non-action scenes when I'm not paying attention.
  24. Ged

Ged New Member

Paragraphs that consist of only one or two sentences.
    Choppy sentences. That come out sounding. Like this.
    I, also, subscribe to the illness of -- dearest me! -- overusing, to a high degree, and with certain pain, commas and dashes.
  25. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

I hate my paragraphs! They're either way too long or way too short!