1. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

Writing ritual?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JetBlackGT, Jan 22, 2014.

Do you have some thing you do or a thing you like to have with you, when you write?

I realized that I tend to light a small soapstone alcohol lamp, when I write. It burns with a small blue flame until the stone gets hot and then I sort of use it as a heater. Even in the summer. :meh: By the time it gets warm, my metabolism has seemed to turn off and I need heat.

I certainly write a lot with it un-lit, but if I happen to notice it, I fill it and get to work. Is it a superstition? A talisman?

Do you have a ritual that goes along with your writing? A teacup you prefer to use on writing days? Do you only write, after you clean the house? What?

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

If I have the time I bring out my scented candles, light them, and say a prayer to the writing god. If he doesn't hear me, I draw out a ritual circle with Doctor Who's Gallifreyan alphabet in it. It seems to appease him, and I can crack on.

:D Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Actually, I need heat to write. My bedroom can be the warmest room in the house, and this is where my computer is, so I feel much more comfortable and relaxed when I'm warm, even overly warm. Other than that, it's just the ritual circle thing. ;)

JetBlackGT and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

Amen on the heat. Who needs a metabolism, when only your fingertips are moving?

'Couple times a year, I sacrifice Californians to my god. I know they aren't much, as far as value goes (I mean look how many there are and it's not like they have any real value) but he seems to appreciate the sentiment. I've found it also makes the snow stop! I buy them on eBay for a dime a dozen. ;-)

Win-win!

Usually they sacrifice themselves on light poles by wrapping their Lexus' around them, whenever it snows. I just say a quick prayer. "That's for you writing god!"

Frequently foreign countries will send them to you for free. Apparently they just want their countries rid of them.

LOL! Can you tell the kind of writing I am doing right now? :)

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no ritual... when i have something to write, I just write wherever/whenever, with whatever is handy to do it with...

5. Siena

Siena Active Member

No ritual. Because that means that I can't write unless that ritual is performed. It's self-blocking.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I turn off the TV.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  7. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I don't know if it is considered a ritual, but if I don't play a quick game of closet Frisbee, I find it impossible to sit still and concentrate on my writing

JetBlackGT likes this.
  8. Tamarack

Tamarack New Member

I don't know if it's a ritual or procrastination. I try to write at the same time every day and I usually start with playing a bit of solitaire or a jigsaw check emails, maybe the forums, etc., by the time that's done I've usually wasted about half an hour. Then I force myself to start writing. I kinda feel like I have to get those things out of the way or it's like an itch I have to scratch. Once I'm done, I can usually reach my word count target.

It's a bit like a bedtime routine to help you get to sleep, but it's a writing routine to help start writing.

But I know what you mean Siena about it being self-blocking. I'm going back to work tomorrow and I don't know how I'm going to fit my writing in then. I'll have to develop some kind of portable ritual I guess...

JetBlackGT likes this.
  9. Danielle Fatzinger

Danielle Fatzinger New Member

I don't have a ritual. As long as I can focus and not have too many distractions, I'm good to go. I do prefer having music on, whether it's specific to what I'm writing or instrumental, but that's only when there's no background noise at all. I'll write in my dorm room, in the dining hall, on the bus on the way to track meets...basically whenever I have time and no homework to do.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  10. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

First I empty the room of furniture and chalk a square inside a triangle. Then taking an aged white wine (at least a year old) I smash it into the centre of the symbol and light a candle in the shape of a chicken leg. All while chanting "immmmmoootttteeetttttt".

Just joking, that's just to freak out the wife.
    Wish I had time for ritual, I grab whatever time I can get or when inspiration takes over.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  11. GothicMermaid

GothicMermaid New Member

I have to write at night (when everyone is asleep). It's the only time when it's quiet here at my house.

I listen to music that fits the 'scene' or a certain 'mood' in my story.

That's really it. But music is a must!

JetBlackGT likes this.
  12. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

Break out the coffee and biscuits?

JetBlackGT likes this.
  13. GothicMermaid

GothicMermaid New Member

^ That's good too! :) Forgot to add tea to mine.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  14. SuperVenom

To be fair the closest I come to a ritual is playing music to match the scene for inspiration. It also helps to have a small destraction as I find it helps the creative process flow as foucusing so much can be detrimental.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  15. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I don't have one. I've a feeling I'd only use it as an excuse/procrastination tool if I did.

16. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I just write when I have time. Sometimes I write on my iPhone while at work. Shhh.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  17. SuperVenom

Hope your auto correct is better than mine. I can't get through a set trance on here.

Renee J likes this.