1. love2listen

love2listen Member

writing rituals

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by love2listen, Jul 10, 2009.

I've found mine.
    Its summer and the weather has been nice. So at night I take my notebook out on the deck and sit at that table, and then I light candles and incense and write, and you can hear all the insects. Its rerally nice. And I finally broke my writers block.

I might try this tonight down at the creek over the road actually

what is yours?

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I sneak any spare (and some not so spare) minute while at work and write as much as I can before its over 0:)

Then I drive home while pondering the meaning of life. I get to my house, hug my wife and child and experience the emotions that make writing real. I go to sleep dreaming of plots story lines and characters.

I wake in the morning and do it all again...

~JG

3. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis Contributing Member

I take ungodly amounts of caffeine, doesn't have to be coffee, and spend all night listening to music and writing when everybody is silent.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have none... i just write wherever and whenever i have something to put down on paper...

5. wave1345

wave1345 Member

While I'm at work, I send myself anywhere from 5 to 10 emails a day with little bits of the
    story I'm working on, insight into characters, etc.

Also, when I write, I lean my head back and write with my eyes closed, so I'm not tempted
    to constantly redo the same sentences and paragraphs over and over. It also keeps me
    from getting frustrated, reading my inevitably bad first draft.

6. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

None really. I like having a glass of tea, a marble front composition book and a pilot razor point pen, but if those things are not available I'll write on whatever I need to with whatever I have.

My husband has an interesting one though. For the first draft of anything for his fantasy novel he must write it on graph paper -- one letter, space or punctuation mark to a square -- with a Pentel RSVP fine point. I don't get it, but if it works for him, who am I to judge.

7. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned Member

I have to go for a walk or to the gym before I write. Because I know that once I get started I will be sitting for a very long time...

8. Primitive

Primitive Member

For some reason before i begin writing i have a 30 minute soak in the bath. I just lay and relax, think about nothing but how lovely ieverything is, then get up and get ready to write.

Day in, day out.

9. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth Contributing Member

I have a jolly good wank. Before, during and after...Clears the mind...

10. Godlet

Godlet New Member

Watching artistic or deep movies, like The Shining or Ghost In The Shell, does a lot for me. And night gives me better ideas than day.

11. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributing Member Contributor

As in...right now? :eek:

Anyway, I write when on the boat in the middle of the Atlantic...well, between here and Stornoway.

12. DownUnder

DownUnder Contributing Member

I tend to just put on some music to get myself comfortable. Something to snack on is always nice too, I just try to avoid too much.

13. Necromortis

Necromortis Member

I don't think I write consistently enough to have a concrete writing "ritual." I always have music on, but what type of music varies from day to day.

I like to get all my distractions out of my system beforehand as well - I'll go online and check the webcomics I read, check my e-mail, etc. Just so I don't do that halfway through writing a paragraph. Avoiding distraction while writing is my biggest problem :p

~Christian

14. ravenflutterby

ravenflutterby New Member

It depends on what mood I'm in, however I always turn off the wireless adapter so I'm not tempted to surf when I get stuck on something. Sometimes music works, sometimes it doesn't. It's nice to have that silence to hear the thoughts and character voices in your head clearly.

Exercise is another good one, it clears the mind and seems to detox my entire body, getting rid of all the clutter so I can concentrate on the writing.

15. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

I don't really have a writing ritual, but to be productive I can't be disturbed. If I'm logged onto MSN I always start chatting with some friend, and then it's all ruined.

16. Cheeno

Cheeno Contributing Member

If I'm writing longhand (1st draft) I like to sit in my comfy armchair, with my feet up on the coffetable and my notice-board on my knees as my writing platform. When I finally get up, maybe a few hours later (depending how the session goes), I have to 'unknot' my poor bones, but it's the way I get my work done so it's well worth the creaks. :)

17. GalwayGirl

GalwayGirl Member

I have my pen, my notebooks and my Ipod. I will fill page after page with ideas and rough outlines for chapters and characters before I even touch a laptop. Do anyone have any Rituals for after the finish a piece of work?