1. forcebreaker

forcebreaker New Member

Writing schedule

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by forcebreaker, May 2, 2013.

Hello all, Im new to the forums. I recently joined because I've really started buckling down to write a fantasy novel. I've created a world, I have new races, a pretty sweet plot idea that's really original and I love to write. But, it being the summer of my Junior year and I'm dual enrolling at a local JC, it seems that I don't have a lot of time to write. I'm wondering, for those of you who write and are in school, how do you lay out an effective schedule for writing? I'm kinda lost and overwhelmed at this point. I've been staying up late brainstorming and writing but it's been stressing me out and stuff. So I'm open to ideas! :) thanks!

2. Isaiah JS

Isaiah JS Member

You need to make choices, sometimes hard ones, about what to cut in exchange for writing time. A great way to do this is to wake up early and write, and go to bed earlier, because people tend to waste more time on the computer/ watching TV at night. If you wake up in the morning to write, you'll write.

3. Anthelionryu

Anthelionryu Member

Take your English- classes early. You'll be having to write some papers. Maybe you can combine your writing with your assignments. Comp1, Comp2 were mandatory and gave me a lot of latitude in what I wrote. Creative Writing was just the icing on the cake.

4. ProsonicLive

ProsonicLive Senior Member

I can not do the whole structure thing. If you give me a structure, it will not get done. If you say "get it done" you could get 30 pages a day. I have the horrible curse of being most creative at 2-4 a.m. fortunately for me, I do not have to keep normal hours.

5. forcebreaker

forcebreaker New Member

Thanks!

I've cut video games and TV and most social networking. I think I also should cut off my reading time. Cuz I read a LOT. So if I take out a lot of distractions so I can focus on writing I think I'll do better. Thanks!

6. forcebreaker

forcebreaker New Member

Ok, yeah. That makes sense. I've got English finals today however, and I'm not taking any English during the summer. In the fall however, I might just take your advice!

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

Don't cut out reading - at least not altogether. Writers learn from reading.

8. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

If you ask that question here you're gonna get fifty different answers. Each person's 'writing schedule' is unique, some work, some don't- but the laziest are often the loudest so I'd be careful.

The way I work is through rigorous personal conditioning. I recognized that I enjoyed writing, but had an aversion towards productivity; that is to say I was my worst enemy, I would hamstring myself because I viewed writing as 'good for me'. Like going to the gym, takes effort but once you're there it's a good thing.

I overcame this through the formation of strong writing habits, and drugs. Actually, it was mostly drugs. I recognized that I did most of my writing at coffee shops, creating within the various Starbucks and Peet's Coffees of my town an office of sorts. My typical habit was to drink a cup of tea and jot down a couple of words- not supremely productive but it was the best I had. Once I realized this I switched my tea for coffee so that I could become addicted to the caffeine, I wanted the headaches and irritability that followed because they were physically uncomfortable. Now if I go without coffee I become an irritable twat- my entire day is shot and my head hurts something awful. The upshot of this is that now I have a physical incentive to go to the coffee shop each day, which roughly translates into a physical incentive to write. This, coupled with a number of other little tips of tricks (the stayfocused app for chrome and writeordie.com) mean that my productivity has exploded.

Of course, this works for me, but I've no idea if it'll work for you. And remember kids, drugs are bad- except when they're not.

9. forcebreaker

forcebreaker New Member

Ok, thanks for all the tips! I'm definitely gonna make my own writing schedule and see how it works. :)