1. Chris_L

Chris_L New Member

POV changes for one chapter

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Chris_L, May 18, 2011.

Hi all -- I have a quick question about the point of view in a novel. Basically, the entire novel is from the perspective of the main character. During the novel, that character goes off the grid (i.e. unconscious), so I have a chapter dedicated to the perspective of a supporting character. However, this is the only chapter I have dedicated to this supporting character. Is this bad form? Should I introduce more chapters with this supporting character's frame of mind?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Only if their POV provides information that's crucial to the story that the readers can't get from the main character's POV. Otherwise, your way is fine. There are no rules.

3. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I agree with Mallory.

The only way I can see it causing any kind of harm/confusion is if the supporting character isn't well developed and it appears that they are just going through the motions while waiting for the MC to arrive.

4. Chris_L

Chris_L New Member

Thanks for the input!

5. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

I would write more about this second perspective to give more balance, or harmony, to the structure of the novel.

6. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

The only thing worse than a one-and-done POV character, is one the writer only fleshed out in an attempt to make it look like they weren't just needing a one-and-done POV character.

7. MJLowson

MJLowson New Member

I'm trying this with my current project, I find its okay if you dedicate chapters to POV rather than switching character mid point.

8. Chris_L

Chris_L New Member

Thanks for the additional input. I'm going to read through everything again and then critically analyze that one chapter. If it just doesn't fit, then I may cut it... or, if I really like it, I may expand on it. Regardless, thanks for all the thoughts and ideas!