1. Simon_Says_Duck

Simon_Says_Duck New Member

Writing Techniques (I know what I want but how do I get there)

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Simon_Says_Duck, Dec 20, 2011.

I have been reading through a lot of the posts for the last hour and haven't found anything that addresses this situation oddly enough. Though I have never had what one would describe as Writers Block but I have had this recurring issue with writing. Ideas, even whole plots, have been forming in my mind but I'm not sure how I should go about communicating it. Reading books recently, instead of analyzing them from an english major perspective I have been analyzing them from a writers perspective. How does a writer communicate something and now I feel lost in the techniques. For instance I have this idea from something I wrote a long time ago. Ideas, symbolically, characterized as dinosaurs or monsters. A sentence, is a mosquito. and story with only a sentence missing is a ferocious dangerous creature hunting for it's own solution. ect. It was inspired by Ray Bradbury's "the illustrated man" an overall story, that his short stories within it." I could communicate and explore an entire world using short stories. But I'm not sure how to communicate that idea, what kind of technique can I use to link these short stories to certain creatures, or show that the creatures are symbolic of how stories interrelate and affect one another. One writer, idea, inspiring another writer.

Any help or thoughts on the topic would be highly appreciated!

2. agentkirb

agentkirb Contributing Member

Usually the solution I have found to these types of problems is to just keep writing. Maybe the type of plot you are talking about is too complex or maybe you want it to be perfect and not mediocre so you want to know how to get better at writing to be able to write it.

But writing is like playing guitar, you can't just pick up a guitar and start playing Stairway to Heaven right off the bat. So again, my advice to you would be to just keep writing. If you don't want to waste your first few big stories on this awesome plot idea you have, maybe come up with some shorter/more simpler plots to practice writing. And I know it sounds like I'm Mr. Miyagi telling you "wax on, wax off" but if you just start writing you'll notice tips here and there for how to make your story better. Some things you will try and it will work out, some things won't work and you just improve on them next time. And after a few years of writing, you'll notice a difference in skill.

One thing I might recommend if you just want more help getting better at writing... there are plenty of books on writing good stories. And none of them are the end all be all of the hobby/skill but I've read a few chapters of 1 or 2 of these books and you get tips here and there on things you can do.

3. Simon_Says_Duck

Thanks Agentkirb, I haven't stopped writing while worrying over this problem, and true to your advice I'll continue writing while I think on it. I have the majority of the short stories for this idea done, I just wonder how to link it to the larger concept. Do I have a story about the monsters in between and somehow describe the stories as one of the characters, do I shape the writing like creatures (childish?), ect. More idea's like thus would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot Kirb, for the time put into the response and the suggestion, I will try reading some of those books, and I'll keep writing per your suggestion.

4. Simon_Says_Duck

Thanks Agentkirb, I haven't stopped writing while worrying over this problem, and true to your advice I'll continue writing while I think on it. I have the majority of the short stories for this idea done, I just wonder how to link it to the larger concept. Do I have a story about the monsters in between and somehow describe the stories as one of the characters, do I shape the writing like creatures (childish?), ect. More idea's like thus would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot Kirb, for the time put into the response and the suggestion, I will try reading some of those books, and I'll keep writing per your suggestion.