Writing the internal landscape

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mrieder79, Apr 2, 2016.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But I'm curious! I can't see the link.

Oh, well. Maybe somebody else will come along with the same opinion, and we can discuss it with them. :)

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Sorry @ChickenFreak , I am apparently not making sense - maybe not even to me ;)

But maybe you and BayView could define the term better than me. I have truly no idea how I could 'define' writing this style, as in rules to follow to a satisfying outcome.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think you were right about avoiding filter words, for sure.

Other than that? I don't really know. Maybe narrative voice - using language the way the POV character would use it? Showing the POV character's reactions as well as his/her actions?

I don't know what else.

ETA: And sorry if you thought I was 'stepping down' - I was just trying to explore the idea to make SURE I didn't agree with it.

4. Lifeline

So, this is a very short excerpt (a scene start) from the way I talk in 1st POV. I don't know what else to call this style than 'deep'. You will notice that the last sentence is 'passive' ;)

I knew I was in trouble when the sky looked the same as the far down below. Groped for the wall, closed my eyes and the world finally stopped spinning. Should have heeded my gut and not gone up on this spindly watchtower.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

What are you seeing that's passive about that last sentence? It doesn't have a subject, but that's because it's a sentence fragment, not because it's passive... unless you're seeing something I'm not.

And, honestly, I wouldn't say this is particularly deep POV. I don't mean that as a criticism - there's nothing inherently better about deep POV. But the part of your "guidelines" that I agreed with was the "avoid filter words" advice, and you've got a filter in your first sentence. I'd think it would be deeper POV with something like "The sky looked the same as the ground far below. I was in trouble." (although I'm just guessing at "ground" as the word that seems to be missing, and I'm not sure why the sky looking like the ground is a problem). - Again, not saying my version is better at all, just - no filter words.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Sorry to keep quibbling at you, but I don't see any passive voice in the last sentence--or do you not mean passive voice?

BayView likes this.
  7. Lifeline

*snickers* Let's start the next round!

Thanks for pointing out this not-passive, I am kinda laughing at myself this moment. Confused is a much too ordered word!

Truly I don't know :) This is just how I write, and whichever label fit is fine with me. I will use any words which work with myself, and the version without 'filter' is just plain unattractive - to me. I will not cut out all words which don't fit the above 'rule' (which are no rules).